Frozenness

Started by Raif, November 22, 2014, 09:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raif

Hey so, not sure when it started but...

I have dual-monitors setup. Now when I click over to wowhead on my other monitor, wow will freeze if it's not the active window for more than a small amount of time.

I thought it might have been a wow issue, but it also happens with minecraft.

Im 99.9% sure most if not all of my stuff is up to date...

Halp meh!

khader

does it happen with sites other than wowhead?  i've had lots of problems with wowhead and firefox due to malware ads usually in flash and javascript.  wowhead forums are full of people reporting malicious ads all over wowhead.   I use chrome for wowhead and have had less issues - not zero but less than I had with firefox.

Raif

No, it seems like the game is a jealous app. Its if its not the active window, no matter what else Im looking at, be it a media player or chrome

Shadowwolf

Is it Windows 8?

Check these settings in WoW also, it was added a few patches ago and its kind of a dumb setting.

[attach=1]

Outside of that, update the drivers for the card, if youre running one card to power 2 monitors, the more you do with it the worse the performance is going to be unfortunately. If the drivers are up to date, I would suggest a clean install of them again. NVidia has the option of doing "Clean Install" when you select custom, sometimes if you have a machine running a long time with NVidia drivers, updates get fudged and the clean install will flush and reset everything to defaults.

If youre using WMP I would suggest finding a new player like VLC or Musicbee or even Winamp. WMP is HUGELY resource intensive and has a lot of visual crap that gets loaded even when its not being used which could be sapping card power.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Raif

No not windows 8

i just unchecked those 2 settings you suggested, it seems to be jumping back from the freeze a little quicker.

I'm running what I thought to be a decent card(AMD radeon HD6900) I was hoping it would proform well.

Ill try the clean install though, that seems like a good idea.

And for the media player, i dont use WMP. IM currently using mediamonkey

Thanks a bunch

Shadowwolf

It is a decent card, but its not high end enough to do 2 monitors and a resource intensive game at the same time without some give. 1 monitor sure, but when you add a second to it, you start to sap power.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+HD+6900M&id=290

Its an older card so its going to have its weaknesses and that chart shows that model family has some lower performance compared to newer cards. What you could do is if all you are doing on the second monitor is Netflix, videos, Youtube, music, etc and no gaming, get a cheap $40 video card and toss it in and hook the second monitor up to it. Something like this:

http://amzn.com/B004X8EO6Q

It will free up the Radeon to just do your gaming which will definitely pick up performance again. Cards don't need to be identical unless you are using SLI or if using Crossfire in the same model family. If you run them separately you should have no issues. You also don't need to buy another AMD card as a second seperate, any card will work, even NVidia.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Raif

Ill look into that, that seems like a great idea

Just pisses me off that its a new(ish) issue, ive had dual monitors on this since i built it.

thanks a bunch for your help