Windows Vista "Add-ons"

Started by Arcdelad, June 17, 2007, 04:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcdelad

I know desktop gadgets have been around on other OS's for a while, but there are some really neat ones you can plop on your desktop now for Vista that are WOW related.

Here is a picture of my desktop gadgets right now...I have ones where I can put in a Wowhed or Thottbot query and it pops up the page right away, one for seeing if the sevrer is up or down, one for the armory, etc etc...I can post these if anyone is interested.

Shadowwolf

Dare I say you know you're an addict when you have WoW widgets on your desktop, lol.

Im bad, but wow Arc, you upstage me here big time,  ;D
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Buzan

Quote from: Arcdelad on June 17, 2007, 04:13:52 PM
I know desktop gadgets have been around on other OS's for a while, but there are some really neat ones you can plop on your desktop now for Vista that are WOW related.

Here is a picture of my desktop gadgets right now...I have ones where I can put in a Wowhed or Thottbot query and it pops up the page right away, one for seeing if the sevrer is up or down, one for the armory, etc etc...I can post these if anyone is interested.

ROFL, go Arc :P

Arcdelad

LOL...what else am i supposed to use these things for....seeing the time or something responsible like a stock ticker? pffft :P

koth needs to make a twilight website widget :)

Kothnok

No matter how often you refill the gene pool, there's always a shallow end.

Arcdelad

hmm....shows runs for the day (time, number of people, any other good info) maybe? This is a programing challenge koth!

Kothnok

*adds it to his already overflowing stack of challenges*  :-\

Khanus

There are alot of guide to make the Vista sidebar work in an XP enviornment as well. I know I dont want to take the plunge to Vista mainly because my Jornada wont sync up with it. However, I do like some of the visual aspect of the OS. Including the preview on bottom bar tabs, sidebar and icons. Watch out though. Most of the gadgets are not made by microsoft (if any sans the default ones) and I have experienced problems including a HDD gadget with a huge memory leak in it. Also when running the side bar in XP, installing gadgets isnt as simple as click and install, but it dosent take much more than decompressing the file naming and placing it in the right folder. Have fun :)

Here's a pic of my Desktop, you can see the sidebar running on XP.

kajunlady

i know this one is old but where did you find the one that lets you know if the server is up or not?

" The Hardest Job is watching day by day your children grow up and wondering if you really did do all you could for them"
unknown

" I did it because I can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said YOU said I couldn't"
UNKNOWN
"The futue is not something we enter,but something we create"
UNKNOWN

Arcdelad

if your using vista and you click on "find new gadgets", itll take you to a place where you can browse by categories...i think in "games" there are a bunch of wow and other game gadgets...

kajunlady

thanks arc.. never used my gagets before so they will make a neat first..lol.. i am so not computer friendly

" The Hardest Job is watching day by day your children grow up and wondering if you really did do all you could for them"
unknown

" I did it because I can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said YOU said I couldn't"
UNKNOWN
"The futue is not something we enter,but something we create"
UNKNOWN

Arcdelad

despite the pundits out there, windows vista has some really cool things...these gadgets are one of em...you can get a whole assortment of gadgets ranging from calculators to clocks to game items...I have a bunch of wow ones and a CPU odometer...

fiere redfern

Silly question arc - is there a way to make the sidebar itself transparent? I noticed in Yakov's post the close buttons were still at the top of the screen even though the bar wasn't visible... I just haven't been able to find the option myself >.<

Arcdelad

not sure fiere....id have to play around with it...

Kothnok

I recently install Vista, so I played around with the gadget stuff.  For those that want to display a singular favorite photo, I created a gadget that will allow you to pick a photo and show it (free floating is 320x240; docked is 120x90).  All you have to do to install it is to download the attachment and then double click it.  Windows will install it for you.  Let me know what you think. =)  (also, the default picture is one I took of Mt. Shasta in northern CA)

As for Fi's question on how to make it transparent, it was already transparent for me; so no clue why yours isn't (unless you're not using the Windows Sidebar and instead are using Google's or Yahoo's or somesuch).