Another swing of the bat

Started by JohnnieRat, November 01, 2008, 03:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnieRat

[blizzard]Upcoming Ret paladin PvP nerf
Quote from: Ghostcrawler
I'm attempting to post this early since the Ret community felt totally surprised last time.

We are looking at some way of making Avenging Wrath and Divine Shield mutually exclusive. This may be through Forbearance, if we can reduce the Forbearance duration through a hotfix. The bubble is intended as a defensive measure. Yet bubble+wings currently is used a lot in BGs and Arenas and helps contribute to the feeling of being destroyed by a Retribution paladin while you are unable to respond.

My apologies to the Ret paladins who already feel picked on. We are really trying hard to not overdo anything but even the last round of pretty severe nerfs didn't seem to do enough to Ret's dominance of PvP.

We are also sympathetic to the notion that if Ret can't do insane burst damage, that the spec might need other tools to be viable in PvP. We're exploring this now, possibly though the missing 11-point Prot talent, possibly through other avenues. We'll let you know when we've made a decision here.

I don't know exactly when this change will go live, but I didn't want you to return from trick-or-treating and be shocked that we didn't announce it, since that seemed to cause a lot of damage with the last nerf.

I'll leave this post unlocked for now, assuming the responses stay intelligent and we don't get too much flaming or trolling.

NOTE: The hotfix will be on Live and the beta.

[...] We lowered Seal and Judgement damage, changed Divine Storm (earlier) and changed Hammer of Wrath. Those all should have lowered PvP burst damage, and they did.

The JotW nerf was done because a paladin could use all their buttons quickly then go on to another opponent with no down time. On bosses in PvE, they could hit every button that was up and still have mana left to be very high on healing meters. So we do think the mana regen was too generous in both PvP and PvE cases.[/blizzard]

More nerfs!!!!!

Shadowwolf

This may as well be written in arabic because I understand none of it. Perhaps I should finish leveling my pally someday so this makes sense.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Gutboy

"Impossible odds, mentally unbalanced foes, cramped quarters for a good punch-up... and people say Iest has no night life."
-- Cerebus

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but by God, they frighten me."
-- The Duke of Wellington

Rocknlock

I read it as "blah blah blah, no more wings while bubbled, blah blah, and no you can't have enough mana to kill more than 1 person in a bg at a time like rogues, warriors, druids, na locks."

JohnnieRat

Never said Ghostcrawler was good at english... i do give him mad props for spending days upon days answering as many questions as possible about Ret.

In all honesty... I don't see this as a nerf since it was a change from pre-wotlk that never should have happened. Like how they made Hammer of Wrath usable at 35% instead of 20% (nerfed as well) for a while.