Twilight Online v3.0 - Looks nice, now how do I use it?

Started by Shadowwolf, January 04, 2009, 08:13:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowwolf

So some of you might be saying, "gee, this looks really nice, but I think some stuff on the old site is missing..."

Actually, you'd be mistaken if you thought that. A good deal has been added, but not all of the additions are obvious. Some are more subtle and I'm here to point some of them out to you =)

The newfangled "Info Center"

Some of you may have already figured it out, some of you may have not yet, but the main page now has what I'm calling an "Info Center" as its one small area that I've managed to cram a ton of information into thats helpful and informative about the guild.

[attach=1]

Each one of those text links is a special tab with information different from the other that you'll hopefully find useful. Ive highlighted each with a colored box in the screen shot above. All you need to do is click on each one to swap to that tab and view whats there.

Whats this black box that pops up when I mouse over events?

Its simple really, its a brief summary of sign ups for that event. You can see how many of each role is currently signed up, and how many of those are approved to attend and how many are in sign up queue.

[attach=2]

The left side column of numbers shown in the above screen shot surrounded by a green box is how many people are signed up in the "Approved" status.

The right side column of numbers shown in the screenshot surrounded by a red box is how many people are signed up in the "Queued" status.

Downloads look a little different...Im scared and confused!

Nothing to be worried about. The download system is a whole lot different now than the old one. It was designed to make finding your files easier as well as viewing the descriptions of each easier. In addition it was set to be a lot easier to maintain so more could be hosted without too much hassle.

[attach=3]

All the summary information on that file like its size, update date, even its version number are shown in the area just below that download's name shown with a red box in the above screen shot.

Some files have special warnings and alerts. Other files are older or for different uses and may not be compatible with WoW if there was a recent game patch. Because of this, all files which have been tested to work with the current version of WoW will show a special blue bar with the WotLK logo easily and clearly telling you it works for the latest version of the game.

You can also view a full writeup and possibly some screen shots of that download in action if you click on the "Details" button for that file.

Additionally, there are other eye catching alerts and information bars that you may see on different files within the full detailed description of that download like shown below:

[attach=4]

Theres an alert that tells you that file has another file dependency and wont work by itself and includes a link to the file you'll need to make it work.

Can someone explain to me what these "News Feeds" are and why I would care?

One of the things I've tried to improve upon is the News Feeds. They were on the old site, but kind of sucked and outdated. News Feeds are basically RSS feeds that the website keeps track of so you dont have to. Simply visit the News Feed section, select a category to view and find the feed you want to read. The site will display a list of topics for that feed and each one will link directly to the information.

[attach=5]

[attach=6]

[attach=7]

I hear there's now a moving picture gallery of sorts?

Yes, we now have an official video archive. Now you can use FRAPS or other recording software and capture live footage of you kissing the floor after having been 2 shot by a dragon, or 1 shot by a Ret Pally in a BG =)

Under "Media" select "Videos" and off you go.

[attach=8]

[attach=9]

You can view the latest uploads, or browse by category and even search a specific video.

[attach=10]

After you watch it, you can even leave a comment about it.

Please talk to me if you need an upload account. I have to make you one for you to upload your movies. The server can accept any movie files of 100MB in size or less in multiple formats but I can detail that more for those of you who wish to take advantage of uploading.  :D
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Shadowwolf

Someone said something about a Signature Image maker?

Yup, now you can have an image signature for your forum signature here or elsewhere on the net that gets updated based off the stats in your WoW Armory profile. You can change the colors, select what you want to display, and it will update automatically every 12 hours.

[attach=1]

Just visit your forum profile as shown above.

[attach=2]

And select "WoW Image Signature" and follow the directions to make one of your own.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Shadowwolf

I'm bumping this since a lot of people dont seem to know how to use the main site still.

un4

It seems that many people are either not using or have not noticed what is (in my opinion) one of the coolest features of our kickass site: the chat room.

It's simple, using your forum account and logging you in automatically, and provides a great way to communicate with people.
un4

Tolwen