Pointless image is...

Started by capnpop, February 16, 2008, 12:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raif

Funny

I worked at an IBM building

They had on site electricians who, during their down time, all they did was strip out old customers.

On the data centre floor, customers rented server space, when they left, they just cut their wires and took their gear leaving all the mess for someone else to deal with.

So they would have to open up the floors and rip everything back from that spot

Docsamson

Quote from: Raif on October 04, 2010, 09:03:49 AM
Funny

They had on site electricians who, during their down time, all they did was strip out old customers.

On the data centre floor, customers rented server space, when they left, they just cut their wires and took their gear leaving all the mess for someone else to deal with.

Makes  sense.  Because of the costs incurred just installing cable, it's usually cheaper to leave it in the floor than remove it, especially due to re-usability.  From what I remember, if you're doing an install, you can't re-use cable.  So the only thing you can do with the old stuff is send it off to get recycled, or sell the copper for scrap.  My understanding with places that don't have full-time on site electricians is that they'll just hire a few union guys once or twice a year to come in and pull cable that's been flagged for removal.  The worst part is that a lot of places don't bother flagging the cable as dead when they cut out, they just leave it lying there.  So you get to play the "is this cable connected to something on the other side or bundled to another cable that's still live" game.

Avelandra

I got out of doing alot of desk work when I worked in Tier 2/Operations for a company by going into the Datacenter and tracing GNDN cables (GNDN=Goes Nowhere, Does Nothing). I dont miss those days.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" - Possum Lodge Motto
I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together.

Raif

Quote from: Docsamson on October 04, 2010, 01:07:10 PM
Quote from: Raif on October 04, 2010, 09:03:49 AM
Funny

I believe IBM does a "floor Audit" every year, where the electricians do just that, decide what is needed and not

Makes  sense.  Because of the costs incurred just installing cable, it's usually cheaper to leave it in the floor than remove it, especially due to re-usability.  From what I remember, if you're doing an install, you can't re-use cable.  So the only thing you can do with the old stuff is send it off to get recycled, or sell the copper for scrap.  My understanding with places that don't have full-time on site electricians is that they'll just hire a few union guys once or twice a year to come in and pull cable that's been flagged for removal.  The worst part is that a lot of places don't bother flagging the cable as dead when they cut out, they just leave it lying there.  So you get to play the "is this cable connected to something on the other side or bundled to another cable that's still live" game.

Shadowwolf

Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Fab

The visualization of this is pretty funny! :)

Air

"Don't be a Dick." - Wil Wheaton
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." - Will Rogers

Zario

capnpop

Docsamson

[attachimg=1]

Pretty much.

Shadowwolf

"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

capnpop

Clanne

Shadowwolf

Lyte