The Sourge are Coming, the Scourge are Coming!

Started by fiere redfern, October 25, 2008, 06:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fiere redfern

Unless you've been living under a rock (or like Ave, haven't played in a week), you probably know that the pre-Naxx necropoli (necropolises? whatever) have popped up around each of the major cities again, and apparently the Scourge are attacking major zones during certain times. So, to pre-emptively clear up any confusion regarding this event, I've prepared a mini-FAQ based on my own experiences and that urge to shake the "wtf, why can't I find this damn thing" feeling.

What? There's a new boss in Karazhan?
Yes, indeedy. Any of the Argent Emissaries that have popped up in the major cities and EPL will give you the quest [quest=12616]Chamber of Secrets[/quest] to kill him. You can get to him by either going through the kitchens off of Moroes' room, or through the hallway behind Attumen's blacksmith. In either direction, the boss will be located two rooms from where you started.

The boss has two abilities (c/o wowwiki: http://www.wowwiki.com/Tenris_Mirkblood)

Soul Copy (also known as Blood Mirror) - This links a person in the raid with Mirkblood, making them take the same amount of damage he does for about a minute. If your raid is as over-geared as ours generally are for kara, this equates to a LOT of damage during the length of the debuff. Either slow DPS on Mirkblood or throw BIG heals on the affected person.

Sanguine Spirit - These delightful little balls of red light do ~6k Shadow Damage when they "mature". Haven't tried the fight with SR gear, so unknown if they can be resisted.

Kill the boss, and go back to his room - there, if you've picked up the quest to kill him, you'll see a piece of paper on the dresser - open that to receive an "Objective Completed". Head back to any of the Argent Emissaries to turn it in.

He also drops some pretty decent (if boring in variety) loot; his loot table consists only of the Arcanite Ripper, a [spell=51851]Vampiric Batling[/spell] for everyone in the raid, and the ubiquitous [item]Badge of Justice[/item], so if you know you want the axe, go git 'im!

That's great and all, but what's the deal with these Necropoli?
There are a couple quests you can pick up after turning in the kill-quest for Mirkblood*, they are [quest=9153]Under the Shadow[/quest] and [quest=9085]Shadows of Doom[/quest]. These two quests will have you search out an attacking Necropolis and kill the Undead that spawn in the purple circles that appear on the ground, and kill the "Shadow of Doom" that spawns after enough of the non-elite undead have been killed, respectively.

Teh Purple! It Burns!

**Important Note!** Only the Undead spawns in Azshara, Blasted Lands, Burning Steppes, Eastern Plaguelands, Tanaris, and Winterspring will drop the quest items for [quest=9153]Under the Shadow[/quest]. The Undead and Necropoli near the major cities will do nothing.

So how do I find out which Necropoli are attacking?
There are two ways to do this. One, contact your nearest friendly Argent Dawn Emissary in any of the major cities and spend time clicking each "Are they attacking in [Insert Region Here]?". Or two, check your map. Whenever a Necropolis attacks, it will put a purple skull on the World Map, NOT the Zone Map. This means, for example, that you can see the skulls in all of the Eastern Kingdoms, but not where the one in the Blasted Lands is located exactly.

So what do I get out of all of this?
(Everything past this point has been taken from http://www.wowhead.com/?forums&topic=48283#p477387)
Aside from the goodies Tenris drops, you can pick up the chest and leg pieces of several undead-slaying armor sets from the rare spawns and Shadows of Doom at the attacking necropoli:

Cloth - Undead Slayer's Blessed Armor
Leather - Blessed Regalia of Undead Cleansing
Mail - Blessed Garb of the Undead Slayer
Plate - Blessed Battlegear of Undead Slaying

The glove and shoulder portions of these sets may be purchased from the Argent Dawn Quartermaster.

Additionally, after you've turned in the initial ten [item]Necrotic Rune[/item]s, you can purchase other items from the Argent Dawn Quartermaster in EPL. These include several trinkets, the AD tabard (woo!), and potions/weapon coatings to assist in the fight against the Undead.

Anything else I should know about?
The fight doesn't stop at the necropoli! If you feel so inclined, you can go back to the bosses of the ORIGINAL Scourge Invasion and wipe them out once more!

These bosses include:
- Lady Falther'ess in Razorfen Downs
- Sever in Shadowfang Keep
- Scorn in Scarlet Monestary's Graveyard
- Revanchion in Dire Maul (West)
- Lord Blackwood in Scholomance
- Balzaphon in Stratholme

These bosses will drop blue items that are level-appropriate for the instance that you are in. (So no hawt 70 epix from RFD, sorry!)

* Anything I've written with an asterisk after it is hearsay - I'm basing these facts after my own experience in-game, if it turns out I'm wrong, please let me know and I'll fix it.

Nasanna

After completing the quest to collect 10 runes, you can buy the armor sets and an AD tabard and some fun trinkets.

fiere redfern