Healing Chimeron

Started by Lord Entropy, May 10, 2011, 02:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Entropy

Hey all,

After last night's experience on Chimaeron I did a little research today.  It turns out, unfortunately, that the inconsistent feuds is a "feature" and not a bug.  They can come after any massacre except the massacre that immediately follows a feud.  I don't know if these numbers are correct, but I've read there is a 33% chance of a feud on the first, 66% chance on the 2nd and 100% on the third massacre to bring the bot down and start feud.  

So given that reality, here are some healing strategies I read about today:

- The two raid healers can divide and conquer to save mana during caustic slimes between feuds.  Since two people are hit by the slimes, each healer would be responsible for one target which is enough time to get them over 10k without using a quick, mana-burning heal.   There are a few methods to divide - the easiest way seems to be to list the raid in alphabetical order in the raid frames and have one healer take the top target, the second the bottom target. I think Shadow and I were probably healing over each other much of the time last night. EDIT: Even easier is to assign raid icons to each automatically with a mod and then assign healers to the icon.

From what I've read, ideally you want the healers near full mana before feud so they can go all out.

- An alternative strategy is to divide up the raid among the healers with everyone helping out on the double strike tank to keep him topped off.  That way two healers are assigned 3 people and one is assigned 4.  This only works, though, if what healers we have can pump out two quick heals in 5 seconds to get two people over 10k since at some point it's likely that both slimes will hit people in one healer's assignment.

- After the feud there is a massacre, so at the end of the last feud tick we only need to have people above 10k.  One mistake I was making was to continue spamming my AOE heal near the end of feud instead of topping off people who are low with single target heals.  For next time I plan to adjust my raid frames to tell me who is below 10k and who isn't so I know who to concentrate on and who I can leave alone.

- Something to think about, but if we have a dps with a healing off-spec, a 4th healer makes this encounter much easier, even if they aren't geared for it.  This is also how moste people are getting the "full of sound and fury" achieve on this encounter.

- Raid cooldowns.  I made some mistakes here - I put my barrier up too early and one thing I can do is glyph for barrier which increases healing for those under the barrier by 10%.  I also used divine Hymn, but I think in hindsight I should have saved it for the 3rd feud.  I think if we tranq the first, barrier the second and then save divine hymn for whenever those two cooldowns aren't available (ie. an early feud), then that would be the way to go.

There's some stuff for the whole raid to consider as well:

- During feuds, everything I read recommended the raid use defensive cooldowns, self-heal abilities, potions, healthstones, bandages, etc., even if they don't give full duration.  This is especially important if the big healer cooldowns aren't available.  DPS can't do much damage during this phase anyway because of the debuff.  Shammy NR totem or aspect of the wild can also help quite a bit here.

- It's critically important that everyone stay stacked (within 6 yards of each other) during feuds to even out the damage.  Uneven damage causes deaths when massacre hits after the feud.

- It seems a lot of people use a plate DPS for main tank because MT only needs to stay above 10k like everyone else.  Seems viable as long as threat isn't an issue - something to consider.

Deadlymijo

well being only able to use one potion per fight the healing one wld be the way to go, i still think we need the feud circke right on boss i know 1 person isnt gonna make us win but being able to get 1cp and heal can do wonders

Shadowwolf

Im not certain that the fight is working that way intentionally or if its like Atremedes was where people just got used to it because it wasnt being fixed. I say that because an official response to my ticket on it last night was that they added my provided info to the internal bugs database or whatever they have. Either way we have to figure out ways to just work through it clearly because intentional or not, its not going away anytime soon.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess