Started by Shadowwolf, December 27, 2007, 02:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowwolf

http://www.wowwiki.com/Void_Reaver

Video:

[youtube=500,425]qCcMgPPo_bk[/youtube]

Abilities:

• Melee: 3-4k on tanks
  • Pounding: 18 yard AoE around the Void Reaver, 3 sec channel, 1350-2250 arcane damage per sec (resistible), 12 sec cooldown
  • Arcane Orb: 6+k (on cloth) AoE with 6s silence, randomly targeted at the place where a non-melee player is standing (resistable, binary), 3 sec cooldown
  • Knock Away: Single Target knock back vs. the highest aggro target, reduces aggro, 30 sec cooldown
  • Enrage: Wipes the raid after 10 minutes

Suggested Strategy:

Positioning

The melee group should fight in the center of the room, all ranged and healers should stay in a wide circle around the boss, at the maximum range of their abilities, in order to maximize available space and travel time for the Arcane Orbs.

[attach=1]

Pull

After clearing all trash in the room, and all ranged classes are set up in a wide circle, the MT simply pulls the Void Reaver right to the center of the room.

Combat

The encounter does not have different stages and is exactly the same from 100% to 0%. All raid members should be kept as close to full HP as possible, to increase their chance to survive an Arcane Orb or Pounding. Both of these attacks can be avoided by running away.

Due to the aggro reduction by Knockback, the main tank will eventually lose aggro, a tank rotation should be set up to counter this. Up to four tanks can be needed. Void Reaver is not tauntable.

Arcane Orb

The Arcane Orbs should be avoided by simply running away. The room is large enough and the orbs are slow enough so that anybody targeted and inside the orbs hit area has time to run away (about 5 sec between the warning and impact). Healers can even stand with their backs to the Reaver, so that they just have to start running when targeted.

Pounding

The Void Reavers hit box is very large, melee DPS should try to find its outer limit. They'll find that stepping out of the Pounding doesn't cost that much DPS after all - the hit box is nearly as large as the Poundings AoE area. The bigger problem with melee running away is that they may be targeted by an Arcane Orb while underway. If the melee group does not avoid Poundings, the healers will have quite a tough job. Holy Priests with Circle of Healing and Chain Healing shamans are best suited for the task.

Agro

Since the fight is on a 10 minute timer, all DPS classes need to maximize their damage output while paying attention not to draw aggro. Threat-reducing ability such as Vanish, Soulshatter, Blessing of Salvation or Invisibility are invaluable. If Shamans are present in the DPS groups, they should spend some consideration whether to drop a damage increasing Air Totem (like Windfury Totem or Wrath of Air Totem), or rather reduce threat with Tranquil Air Totem. If DPS are low, better go for the DPS boost, if aggro may be a problem chose Tranquil Air. Hunters should freely use Feign Death, obviously. Shadow priests have no permanent aggro-dump: refrain from using Vampiric Embrace to avoid healing based hatred. This fight is like Broodlord - the more tanks the higher the threat that can be generated as every tank takes fewer knockbacks.

Notes:

• As with the other mechanical mobs in The Eye, Void Reaver is immune to health-draining effects such as Drain Life, Siphon Life, and Death Coil.
  • The Void Reaver is immune to bleed effects as well as poisons, and mana drain
  • There used to be a bug with KTM prior to version 20.2 on this fight which assumed a 50% threat reduction per knockback, while in reality 75% of your threat is kept, instead. This can be fixed by the raid leader by changing the value on KTM for Void Reaver's knockback ability, entering "/ktm b s knockaway default multiplier 0.75" will set the knockback to the correct value.
  • A hunters pet with maxed arcane resistance can stay on the boss all the time and easily be healed with mend pet
  • The fight can be reset by running out of the room
  • There is a new mod called VoidReaverAlarm that really simplifies the fight by showing the distances and directions of incoming orbs
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Melonni

Since patch 2.4, VR no longer temporarily targets a non-tank prior to launching an orb - helpful for position-sensitive melee dps and reducing parries. Also, there is no data in the combat log to indicate an orb has been launched, so boss mods and such are unable to warn people right now. Supposedly, that will be fixed eventually.

While reading about the boss troubles post-2.4 on a fansite, someone mentioned they use this strategy for their healers given the excessive attention required to heal and constantly watch for orbs coming towards you.

Quote4. Some of our healers found it easier to go with the melee group and just heal themselves through the pounding than have to watch for orbs while also trying to watch all those health bars. Side benefit: the healers don't get silenced.

Shadowwolf

I was thinking of doing that also but wasnt too sure of the damage id be taking. Id imagine it would be less than the 6k from an unseen orb as I believe its only 4k on the pounding.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

capnpop

still, it's 4k guaranteed vs 6k maybe...

Some people do have a shammy in the pounding area spamming chain heal for all the melee dps (and themselves of course).  This helps since most of the dps is from the melee side of things (ranged is busy running away and an affliction lock is all that can really keep on the move and DPS normally).  Then again, i don't know how we are situated for healers generally.  I could try to stack some arcane resist and keep my +heal high and give it a shot, although I lack the AoE healing potential of other classes.

Grendeel

Would it be better to use Arcane res gear if u have it?  I have around 350 or more but i lose around 100-200 spell damage with it.  I might try it next time and just worry about dps instead of moving around all the time.

capnpop

you still get the silence even if you take a half shot...if you are at pounding range you don't get silenced (no orbs).  I think the ranged are fine as-is.  It's just a matter of paying attention without the use of addons.  The only people who really want (not necessarily need) arcane resistance are the melee'ers. 

basically: no arcane resist = run for 6 secs then dps OR get hit for 4-6k and silenced for 6 secs (total, 6 secs without active-casting DPS)

with arcane resist = run for 6 secs then dps OR get hit for 0-6k and silenced for 6 secs (total, 6 secs without active-casting DPS AND lower dps from arcane resist gear)

at least, that's how i see it

Nasanna

It's annoying to heal this fight for me. I have one instant-cast heal every 3 minutes, the rest of the time I'm trying to watch healthbars and orbs flying around. Overall, it looks like healers are spread out enough that if one or two have to move because of orbs, the other three or four can stay where they are and heal.

If someone is needed to stand in with the melee and heal, I'll volunteer since chain heal works well in this situation. If we decide to do this, I will also look into getting some arcane resist besides my [item]Violet Badge[/item] from Kara.

Shadowwolf

You can actually resist the silence from the explosion as well. Im not sure if its classified as "Shadow" or what but there was some times on our visit that I got hit with an Orb but resisted the silence aspect of it.

capnpop

Quote from: Nasanna on April 04, 2008, 12:59:50 PM
It's annoying to heal this fight for me. I have one instant-cast heal every 3 minutes, the rest of the time I'm trying to watch healthbars and orbs flying around. Overall, it looks like healers are spread out enough that if one or two have to move because of orbs, the other three or four can stay where they are and heal.

If someone is needed to stand in with the melee and heal, I'll volunteer since chain heal works well in this situation. If we decide to do this, I will also look into getting some arcane resist besides my [item]Violet Badge[/item] from Kara.

the main reason you would be there would be for melee.  I think that this type of setup would work best with assigned healers.  2 healers (pallies) on the current aggro target, druid/priest supporting with HoTs on whoever needs them.  Shammy healing in the "kill zone" at his feet (chain heal will inevitably help with tanks too).  that puts us at 4 healers, perhaps 3-4 more for a total of 7-8 healers where the additional would be there to take over on main aggro targets, heal orbed people, and otherwise help top off the hurt would be optimal.  Then again, i don't know how many healers we need/had/have for the fight :S :P

Edit: also - orbs are binary (see below) and i'm assuming the silence is binary as well...

from wowwiki:
QuoteBinary spells are spells which can only have full effect (hit) or no effect (resist); partial resists are not possible. Normally, damage spells are only binary if they have an additional non-damage effect.

so, no partial resists on orbs, just full or none.  Same with silence...

Air

might be a good idea to have shaman chain healing and a priest using circle of healing nonstop on the melee nonstop.  And than have the 5-6 healers focus on single target healing tanks, healers, or range dps.
"Don't be a Dick." - Wil Wheaton
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." - Will Rogers

Shadowwolf

Console commands for maximizing your viewpoint on this fight to watch for orbs:

/console cameradistancemaxfactor 4

or
/console cameradistancemaxfactor 8

to return your camera back to normal, use:

/console cameradistancemaxfactor 2

Nasanna

How much arcane resist should I look for getting if I stay in with the melee to chain heal? I can get over 90 unbuffed just with my Kara badge and [item]Enchanted Felscale Boots[/item] socketed with resist gems and an arcane resist patch. I'm guessing that would be plenty since the melee don't need much but I just want to make sure.

JohnnieRat

With only the kara badge and mark of the wild, you resist quite a bit. With 79 resistance (which is what I think imp mark of the wild and the badge add up to), you are looking at mitigating about a little over 15% of the damage (according to http://www.wowwiki.com/Resistance) but from my observations it seems to be a bit more... I see an aweful lot of resists compared what I mathematically should including a respectable amount of full resists although I think that regardless of resist stats there is always a chance at a full or partial resist.

Shadowwolf

I wouldnt sacrifice too much for resist, his ground pound only does about ~4k damage total each time he uses it. If you are above 4k hp you wont die from it.

JohnnieRat

Yea, I'ld just throw on the Kara Badge and MotW. It's more than enough. I kind of like taking all that damage... blue rage bar always gets refilled.