any ideas for this?

Started by kajunlady, May 20, 2008, 02:15:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcdelad

I forgot to mention that by picking that name you must submit to me a 5 page essay regarding gender switching and the elizabethan era found in "As You Like It".

kajunlady

actually as much as it pains me to say "As You Like It" is one I am unfamilier with, To the libaray I go ....Well this weekend anyway..hehe

" The Hardest Job is watching day by day your children grow up and wondering if you really did do all you could for them"
unknown

" I did it because I can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said YOU said I couldn't"
UNKNOWN
"The futue is not something we enter,but something we create"
UNKNOWN

Arcdelad

arrrggggggggg...epic fail!!!

"As You Like It" will unwaveringly appear in any shakespeare survey course whether it be intro to willy or the real deal...its truly a ridiculous story that panders to the audience, but it has the usual shakespeare depth and wit that makes him a standout...

when reading it, you have to take "love" with a grain of salt.....charachters in shakespeare's comedies fall in love instantly - BOOM - see woman/man and you are in unbreakable love with that person before he/she even opens their mouth. Even in a dark comedy like "The Tempest" you find Miranda falling in love instantly...Oscar Wilde famously lampoons this in "The Importance of Being Earnest".

If you read it, pay attention to the inversion of gender roles as the women don their male "costumes", and remember to put it into the context of the Elizabethan era where a strong woman was in a traditional male role but still had to succumb to male rules on female behavior (hence "virgin" queen).

un4

"I do desire that we may be better strangers."
Orlando, As You Like It, Act III, Scene 2.

I like to bust out the book of Norse mythology for names, personally  :)
un4