Oculus Heroic

Started by Arcdelad, December 03, 2008, 05:22:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcdelad

Yesterday this gem of an instance was the daily heroic, and I could tell that as soon as I logged on by the screams of misery and agony that seemed to eminate from the Borean Tundra...

I know a TON of people were scratching their heads about this instance, and when shadow, gren, cap, dry, oil and myself finally, after HOURS in there, beat it, people were asking HOW we did it.

Here are some pointers from last night for what they are worth:

The Teleporting Mage Boss

This boss can appear brutal and even unbeatable, but there is a definite pattern to it. Start with ALL ranged dps and healers behind the tank. The tank needs to grab the boss and kite him in a circular manner around the room. The kiting needs to be very slow and deliberate though - the tank should stay in a spot with the guy (while ranged is behind him), build aggro, and WHEN he drops his ground freeze, the tank needs to back out of it, JUST until he is outside of its reach. Stop there, build more aggro, and repeat.

During this time all ranged dps and healers need to stay moving ahead of the tank, and youll need to do a move-cast-move-cast rotation if you're not a druid healer that can throw hots while moving....

When the guy verbally emotes, hes casting an explosion similar to the last boss in sethekk halls, and everyone needs to rush in behind one of those columns ASAP. You CANT, though, go into a column that has ground freeze on it, or else your party will wipe. The tank can somewhat control this - if he senses the boss is about to explode, stand still until he emotes, then move to the column. After he emotes, the tank should taunt him back to him and continue kiting ASAP, and all dps needs to get aheaad of the tank ASAP.

The tank and melee dps are going to take ground frost damage no matter what, BUT the boss itself hits like a school girl, so the major chunk of healable damage should be coming from the ground freeze.

The Last Boss - IE the most ridiculously designed fight ever

The last boss is a blue dragon that you fight while mounted....first thing you need to do is take off all of your armor and weapons...except your tabard....1) you need rep, and 2) noone really wants to see JR in just his undies....

You take off your stuff becuase any stats on your char have nothing to do at all with this encounter...you could be level 1 with 2 AP or level 80 with 8000 AP and the fight would be exactly the same...

You get three dragon choices:

Ruby Drake - this has three abilities - a flame attack that will jump targets, an avoidance ability that will make him hard to hit for a bit, and a misdirect ability that works like a taunt...

Bronze Drake - this is a DPS / debuff drake - it has a standard attack ability, an ability that freezes the boss for 10 seconds called time stop, and a channelled spell that accumulates stacks that can be spent by the first ability...

Emerald Drake - this is a healer drake - BUT the heals from it work by draining your own life and transferring it at a larger percentage to someone else, meaning healing people kills you...three abilities are a stacking poisen that heals yourself while doing a small amount of damage to the boss, a debuff for the boss that reduces damage, and a channelled heal spell

I'm sure theer are TONS of ways to do this fight in a ton of combinations - the fact that they have achievements for doing it in all emerald, all ruby or all bronze drakes attests to that....but seriously good luck with that. And no...I cant come...I have to...uh...wash my hair.

The way WE did it was we had two healer drakes, two ruby drakes, and one bronze drake.

ONE ruby drake tanked the boss - all he did was attack the boss, use evade, and he ignored everything else.

The other ruby drake focused on the adds and burned them down ASAP. These need to drop fast , and the chain jumping ability of the ruby drake does this very well.

ONE emerald drake healed primarily the tanking red drake....the other healed primarily the add ruby dragon, and both watched over the health of the bronze drake...

The bronze drake has two functions - 1) channel the spell to 10 stacks, and then explode it - he needs to do this the entire fight,,,, and 2) use his time stop ability when the boss enrages - the boss will do a verbal emote, and then will increase damage output for a bit....thats the time to time stop him if you can...if its in CD, both green's need to heal the tanking red...

After a bit, the boss will shift out, becoming untouchable, and some orbs will spawn - these act just like the orbs in kaelthas and will hunt you down - they also move SLOW - just fly away from them...far, far, far away.....fly to mexico...after a bit the orbs will explode, and NOONE should be hit by them...

thats it...again, there are many ways to skin a cat, but thats what we did last night and it eventually worked...

..and seriously...if you ask me to come here with you...my hair is REALLY dirty....seriously.....

Docsamson

A note for people trying to do this for achievements, or with more Bronze drakes.  The Bronze's Time Stop stun is on diminishing returns.  You cannot, unfortunately, stop him indefinitely.  You can, however, hit him with 2 freezes, wait 15 seconds, and then hit him with another.  Just in case you're going for a gimmick kill.