Malygos Phase 3 Suggestion

Started by Shadowwolf, February 16, 2009, 12:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowwolf

http://www.worldofmatticus.com/2009/02/04/malygos-phase-3-made-simple/

Might be worthwhile to explore this tonight

Quote[attachimg=1]

Setting up

As phase 2 ends, the entire instance is going to fill with bright, seizure inducing colors.

To make sure everyone's in sync and starting in the right area, I get everyone to snap and move down to the southern side of the platform. Look on your minimap for this if you have to. I ensure everyone stays together as much as possible.

Note the red dot in the diagram above.

As the platform breaks apart and your raid falls, see to it that no one touches their flight controls. Let Malygos settle down and park himself. Once he does that, the raid leader cues the raid to climb.

Climb directly up until you're at head level with Malygos. For the remainder of the fight, this is where you'll be on the Z axis of things. You don't have to worry about climbing or diving. You and your raid are only going to focus on strafing.

Movement

Note the four dark blue (navy) circles on the map above. Those are going to be the 4 points everyone will navigate to.

Now that the raid is head level and starting at the south position, you're going to move towards the east, north, west, before heading back to the south.

In other words, fly counter-clockwise in 90 degree increments. You don't have to do this constantly. Only move when the raid gets hit with a static field (30 yard AoE damage spell). See a static field? Move east. Another static field? Head north.

For the DPS

Even though I'll have anywhere from 6 to 7 healers for phases 1 and 2 on Malygos, I'll specifically jump into the play on phase 3 to help DPS. I like to get another healer to do it with me. This drops healing drakes down to 4 but increases attacking drakes by 2 (or having a net result of 20 firebreathing drakes).

Flame spike: Damaging fire attack that awards a combo point at the cost of 10 energy

Engulf in flames: Finisher that adds a DoT effect. The more combo points, the longer the duration of the DoT. Can stack.

As you can see, the more Flame Spikes you cast, the more DoTs you can add and the longer they last. It takes a while to build up momentum.

For the sake of simplicity and those doing it the first time, I suggest going for a 1-1-1-2 rotation.

On a side note, I think the guild best is currently at 22 stacks. Can't remember if it was one of my Warlocks, a Hunter, or Kimbo (Ret Pally) who pulled it off.

For the healers

First thing's first. What you may realize is that your raid frames are going to be useless! They don't show the health of the drakes! There are a few addons that combat this, but I'm going to assume that you completely forgot to get them.

Press Shift V. This brings up healthbars on to the screen. At this point, you're going to be relying on heads up healing. In other words, you'll have to filter out the players with low health bars, target them, and heal them.

Revivify: 10 second HoT. Each application adds 1 combo point. This can stack up to 5 times.

Life Burst: This is an AoE healing finisher which increases your healing done by 50% (and lasts longer per combo point). If you have maxed out combo points (5 of them), the spell will heal around 15000 across all friendly targets within 60 yards.

This is like extreme whack-a-mole.

You may not have combo point indicators so you'll have to keep track of it mentally in your head. And since Life Burst is a large AoE, you don't always have to target the weakest drake. Just pick one and slam the key and it should engulf everyone.

For the DPS and healers

Lastly is the Flame Shield mechanic. Any spell that registers combo points will work (Revivify or Flame Spike). The more combo points, the longer the shield.

You'll want to use this when he targets you with a Surge of Power. Having Deadly Boss Mods installed will cue a large warning on your screen that Malygos is looking at you.

Even though he looks at you, you still have time to build up points to survive. A lot of players will panic when this happens and feel helpless.

Get a grip on yourself and calm down.

When he looks at you, there are 3 seconds before he fires his laser beams. The beams will last 5 seconds. You just need to have the shield up for a portion of it to survive. With luck, your AoE healers can still catch you while the beam is going off to help mitigate some of the damage.

Let me reiterate, you don't have to have your shield up the entire 5 seconds to survive. So if you're caught with your pants down without any combo points and he's looking at you, fire off 2 or 3 combo point spells and hit your shield. You should be able to survive it with slight scale damage.

Reminders

• Run south going into phase 3
  • When Malygos levels up, climb up to him and reach head level
  • Strafe in 90 degree increments going counter clockwise
  • DPS: 1-1-1-2
  • Healers: 3-3-3-3-3-4 and press Shift V to toggle health bars
  • Don't panic when he catches you with no combo points since you still have time

Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Lynette

As good of a plan as I have seen yet.  Let's try it.

Not having to change the z-axis makes this approach simple.  Might also help if someone (Shadow?) /rw when to fly and what direction (i.e. EVERYONE FLY EAST...EVERYONE FLY NORTH...etc)

If Ctrl-V works, then healers can do a better job of healing others - especially those who have been fixed upon.

Good to know we have 3 seconds to get our shield up - plenty of time to generate a CP then shield.

dharq

Something to make note of though.. I noticed the guide didn't mention it.. just like rogues or cat druids, if you change targets, you lose all combo points you've built up... so don't change targets and expect that 4-5 pt combo you've built up beforehand to go off.. it just won't happen. For DPS that's pretty simple, but for healers, if you change targets constantly, you won't have enough cps for a big lifeburst.

Shadowwolf

Id like to try this for P3 tonight guys, so familiarize yourself with this info please.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

dharq

Here are some macros I found while surfing earlier that are supposed to help with the phase 3 fight--especially if you're having trouble using the pet abilities.

Quote--- DPS ---
/tar mal
/castsequence reset=target Flame Spike, Flame Spike, Flame Spike, Engulf in Flames

--- Healing ---
/tar pet
/castsequence [target=pet] Revivify, Revivify, Life Burst

I haven't tested them yet, but I'm getting ready to via Aces High. I'll update this shortly...

Ok, these both work. I bound them to keys (shift+1 for dps, shift+2 for healing), and they seemed to work fine. I would suggest stacking 3 cps before using the dot instead of two. The extra 4 seconds on the dot seems to make it easier to maintain in case you have to shield.

JohnnieRat

Just remember that the DoT is very energy intensive and you don't want to be caught with your pants down if you need to shield

dharq

True, that's why I'd suggest stacking three flame spikes first.. it gives you a little bit more time between refreshes on the DoT to regain energy or shield if you have to

By the way, the command to bind a key to a macro is

/run SetBindingMacro("ALT-9","SomeMacroName");

Replace the ALT-9 with whatever keypress you want to use, and replace the SomeMacroName with the name of the macro exactly as you typed it.