My Bad PUG Experiences...what not to confuse it for...

Started by Shadowwolf, February 13, 2010, 06:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowwolf

Its recently come to my attention that some people may believe me to be some elitist arrogant bitch in terms of this game, how to play it, etc. The reason some people might think this is because of the highlights I do in gchat about my bad experiences and some of my retaliatory responses to those experiences. What I want to say is that nothing can be further from the facts on that if you do assume that.

I dont ask for perfection, I dont expect perfection with this game from anyone, me, personally, I strive for it from myself, but thats for my own reasons. I'll be open and honest with regard to the fact that I am my own worst critic when it comes to my own performance.

With regard to the stuff I post in gchat, I do it because I am under the impression that most of you find it comical to hear about some of the bad experiences I have. Mainly because I get some off the wall bad stuff, the stuff legends are made of as it were. Lately, ive been PUGing a lot on my priest trying to bring her up to gear in a hurry for a second healer to take to offset on some 10 raids. Because of that, well...ive had a lot of bad experiences. I know my miss-tells are the highlight of the evening sometime, you can thank the Prat addon for that in its remember last chat option.

What I dont want you guys to think is that all I do in PUGs is rip on people regularly and criticize them for being bad. I can assure you guys, I dont. Most of the time, and I say most of the time because with my luck its rarely I get a solid group, I am actually polite, and helpful as I think I am normally within the guild. A lot of the time in PUGs im also very quiet, mainly because I just want to get through it and get what I need done. When I start ripping on someone for being "bad" or "fail" its usually deserving. For example, this evening, my Rankwatch politely sent the pally in group a tell about his Devo aura being 3 ranks below max. Normally, when rankwatch goes off, I dont elaborate on it, I say nothing, just let it do its thing, and I have it do tells to not publicly humiliate them in front of the other party members. More often than not I dont ever get a response or if I do its a positive one about "Thank you, I never realized...." or "No wonder my DPS was lower than I expected", etc. Sometimes though, people just get outright nasty about it and then to me, its on. This evening, was one of those, where the pally basically said "You get what I got" in reply to the automatic tell from Rankwatch. He then followed up with "This is an alt and I dont care to train, it doesnt matter". Now...to me...this isnt a case of innocent mistake or unknowing, this is a case of outright blatant disrespect and rudeness to the rest of the group. The reason I see it as that is everyone else takes the time to train up properly and cast, etc proper spells and abilities, but now and then we make a mistake and forget to hotbar this or that, or whatever. To flat out refuse to even try using the excuse of it being an alt is just lazy and uncaring, which to me says "screw all of you" in the group. It makes it that much harder for us to make it through the instance successfully when one person isnt pulling their weight. As the healer, if I took the same attitude, it would be very apparent and as a group, we might not make it through, plus...id likely be voted out of the group too for sucking at my job. So...as such, I declared open season on this person and basically found ways to "have fun" with them and ram home my point of alt or not, he should care.

This was just one instance of my grief in a PUG, there are many others, too numerous to remember or perhaps too scarring to remember, heh. They arent always related to Rankwatch or another addon, sometimes its flat out refusal to try, like when a Hunter is doing Autoshot and nothing else throughout a whole run, or when a Tank decides to aggro 50 mobs purposely. The list is huge of the bad stuff.

What I dont do is openly screw with people for no reason about mistakes. People make them, I make them, we all do, and making fun of someone because of it not only paints you as an arrogant jerk, but makes them flustered and likely to make it again. I dont do it here with our runs nor would I put up with it if someone else did it. Just to be clear, I dont just join a PUG and find ways to poke fun and ridicule people in case some of you maybe thought that from the few excerpts of my experiences in gchat. For one, if I did do that, that sort of behavior is disgusting and pathetic. Plus, it gives the guild a bad image if I did in fact do that all the time. People would begin to think of Twilight as a group of arrogant a-holes which we arent.

A lot of the time im very supportive and try to defend the "little guy". Heres an example from a H Nexus run late last night:

Quote[Party Leader] Volhmicjohno-Kael'thas: Recount - Damage Done for Last Fight
[Party Leader] Volhmicjohno-Kael'thas: 0. Total  945418 (7680.1 100%)
[Party Leader] Volhmicjohno-Kael'thas: 1. Volhmicjohno  295325 (2222.5, 31.2%)
[Party Leader] Volhmicjohno-Kael'thas: 2. Hohos  222254 (1793.1, 23.5%)
[Party Leader] Volhmicjohno-Kael'thas: 3. Bladebott-Spinebreaker  216586 (1690.2, 22.9%)
[Party Leader] Volhmicjohno-Kael'thas: 4. Misca-Kirin Tor  197401 (1858.8, 20.8%)
[Party Leader] Volhmicjohno-Kael'thas: 5. Astrania-Alexstrasza  13852 (115.5, 1.4%)
[Party Leader] Volhmicjohno-Kael'thas: our DPS is pathetic
[Party] Hohos-Kael'thas: :( sorry
[Party] Hohos-Kael'thas: My hunter is a undergeared
[Party] Astrania: thats a bit uncalled for...
[Party] Astrania: nothing shameful about that DPS in heroics
[Party] Astrania: raids, yea, might be a problem
[Party] Astrania: unless its naxx
[Party] Astrania: but last time I checked Festergut isnt a boss in Nexus
[Party] Hohos-Kael'thas: i got my DK for Raid dps :)

I just want to be clear, I may highlight the bad and my responses to the bad encounters, but I do it to kind of give you guys something to laugh about. I dont detail everything leading up to it, because its boring, and I dont do it all the time. Yea I complain about bad PUGs a lot, but mainly because im comparing them to our guild groups, which they never do compare and its frustrating, but honestly, its the bad groups which improve my playing I think. Keeps me on my toes and gives me more awareness.

Just felt I should clear that up since I got wind some may think of me as elitist because all they see me highlight is the bad and dont know I do it for the sake of humor.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Sethrow

lol remember they base groups off tank GS and Healer GS, lol that means if the tanks is substacialy over geared and the healer is over geared you'll get dps in blues! it sucks but you still will suceceed, ruff it out cuz you can all remember when you were there. And yes you may have had better knoledge of your toon but not everone is you. Some of these people are not your average joe common sence! :)

Goz