Extraordinary Lag

Started by Kothnok, February 16, 2009, 07:59:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kothnok

For those experiencing extraordinary lag when playing WoW (mine is 600ish when it's normally <100), Blizzard is aware there is a problem and is working to fix it.  They need more data on who is affected and if you are, please post on the thread in the support forum here.

Quoting from post 701 on page 36 of that thread, made at 02/13/2009 05:10:09 PM PST:
[blizzard author=Adams]Hey all,

Our network administrators have been working diligently with both our ISP and various other 3rd party providers to try and narrow down what may be causing the latency issues you all are experiencing. Unfortunately they have been unable to find any specific causes. Although it does seem that the initial problems being reported in this thread, occurring to players in the North/South Carolina areas, has cleared up.

But if you are still seeing extremely high latency in game, we would like to try to find some commonalities that could possibly help us find a cause. Please post the following here:

# Internet Service Provider
# Regional Location
# Realm you are connecting to
# Battlegroup your realm is in (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/pvp/battlegrounds/battlegroups/)
[/blizzard]

That would be:
Your ISP
Your geographic area
Alexstrasza
Rampage

My limited testing with tracert has pointed to AT&T's servers (Blizzard's ISP) to be consistently causing very large latency numbers.  As I am not an AT&T customer, I just get the run around when talking to them and Charter (my ISP) just says "not our problem".
No matter how often you refill the gene pool, there's always a shallow end.

Kothnok

Hundreds of posts, dozens of threads, and Blizz still has no idea what is going on... or just doesn't want to share it with the rest of us.

My personal opinion is that AT&T is erroneously marking WoW net traffic as low priority and causing the massive latencies.
No matter how often you refill the gene pool, there's always a shallow end.

un4

Bleh... typical fail.  Keep us posted.
un4

dharq

AT&T did the same thing with traffic coming out of the school where I worked a few years ago... We were using some i-net based testing, and they were totally killing our performance. Escalated the issue, threatened them w/ breach of contract, found someone who didn't treat us like crap, and suddenly our performance was superb.