Advice needed

Started by Jandris, August 13, 2008, 12:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jandris

I am trying to upgrade my armor and want to make sure I don't spend precious badges or pvp honor unwisely.
I have looked at the armory and checked out upgrades and hope that I have found some that are within my reach.
Any comments / advice is welcome. These are the main pieces I think need work.
    Shoulder (current) Mantle of Autumn 
      replace with Pauldrons of the Argent Sentinel or Pauldrons of the Justice-Seeker
    Waist (current) Khorium Belt
                replace with Girdle of Truth or Guardian's Ornamented Belt
    Weapon (current) The Essence Focuser
                replace with Shard of the Virtuous or Gladiator's Salvation
    Pants (current) Legplates of the Righteous
                replace with Greaves of Pacification - High Justicar's Legplates or Merciless Gladiator's Ornamented Legplates
Thanks

Arcdelad

We can talk about this when we meet in philly soon for the twilight east coast meeting =)

Gutboy

Quote from: Jandris on August 13, 2008, 12:31:00 PM
I am trying to upgrade my armor and want to make sure I don't spend precious badges or pvp honor unwisely.
I have looked at the armory and checked out upgrades and hope that I have found some that are within my reach.
Any comments / advice is welcome. These are the main pieces I think need work.
    Shoulder (current) Mantle of Autumn 
      replace with Pauldrons of the Argent Sentinel or Pauldrons of the Justice-Seeker
    Waist (current) Khorium Belt
                replace with Girdle of Truth or Guardian's Ornamented Belt
    Weapon (current) The Essence Focuser
                replace with Shard of the Virtuous or Gladiator's Salvation
    Pants (current) Legplates of the Righteous
                replace with Greaves of Pacification - High Justicar's Legplates or Merciless Gladiator's Ornamented Legplates
Thanks

I'm partially guessing here since I'm not a pally, but I would add the T4 Shoulders from Maulgar, [item]Belt of the Guardian[/item] (which I can make  :)), [item]Girdle of the Righteous Path[/item] (TK Solarian), [item]Legplates of the Innocent[/item] (Kara Chess), and [item]Light's Justice[/item] (Kara Prince). Depends what raids you can/want to run....

GB

"Impossible odds, mentally unbalanced foes, cramped quarters for a good punch-up... and people say Iest has no night life."
-- Cerebus

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but by God, they frighten me."
-- The Duke of Wellington

Shadowwolf

I think the first question is, what role are you aiming to play? Healer, DPS, Tank.

Im assuming Healing since you already do that and do it well =)

The next question if that is the case is what is your healing style? Meaning, what spells do you use often, do you downrank them, etc.

Pally healers from what Ive seen can be set up a few ways depending on the style of healing the person is aiming for. Some stack crit and +healing, others stack +int and mp5, so I think a lot of advice would depend on your playstyle.

For immediate upgrades, I would definitely look at some of the S2 PvP stuff as temporary stepping stones.

For weapons, you could go with [item]Gavel of Pure Light[/item] which if you have the rep you can basically buy it now, or [item]Merciless Gladiator's Salvation[/item] might be a better route due to the higher stats. It lacks the mp5, but it makes up for it in higher healing and int.

For your belt, you are pretty much limited to drops from Kara/TK/ZA or [item]35160[/item]. Solarian drops [item]29965[/item] and Hex Lord Malacrass drops [item]33446[/item].

Leggings you can prob have an easier time getting [item]29063[/item] off Gruul's token drops, or [item]33518[/item] which is 75 badges at the vendor or [item]30137[/item] from Fathom-Lord in SSC.

For shoulders I would work for [item]30138[/item] off Void Reaver's token drop honestly. We kill him every week so its not long before everyone will have T5, you'll have a pretty easy time getting those.

Truthfully tho, I would take advice from Cap or our other pally healers more than me as I can only offer help based on outside observation as Paladin is the only class I havent been able to get into myself so I dont have much first hand experience with it =(
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Jandris

It would help if I was a little more specific - lol - yes this is healing gear upgrades that I am looking for.
I tend to stack + heal as a priority then intel or mp5 as I can get it - depends on what I am lacking at the time.

I was checking out the loot from Kara, Mag, Gruul's lair & SSC as I don't feel I am ready for the others.
I was going by what the armory said was an upgrade and seemed poss for me to achieve.

I have some of the S2 stuff and was looking at the mace as the next pvp purchase. (wsg tokens - yuck)
Will check out the other suggestions - thanks  :D

capnpop

Your gear choices depend greatly on what kind of healer you plan to be.  FoL spammer or HL spammer. 

If you are a FoL spammer you look for gear that tends to have more mp5 and consider any crit a bonus.  T5 shoulders, for example, have 0 mp5, but due to the quality of the item itself i'd still stick with that and add healing/int gems to it to get the socket bonus (stam i think so it's kinda optional...).

If you prefer Holy Light spam you're going to need to downrank for your main heal (i use rank 6 although should drop it one more...) and instead of mp5 you stack crit and consider the mp5 the bonus.  with the same t5 shoulders i have dual spell crit gems giving me almost 1% crit and getting the socket bonus.

as for actual recommendations of gear, i'd need to know your badge budget (how many you have/plan to have and are willing to use) and what instances you are able to run (and want to).

just so you know: in my experience HL healing sucks on the healing meters.  I run about 30-50% overheal and easily fall under every other healer.  My usefulness is basically having that 7k heal land right after the tank takes a big hit, beyond that I'm spamming my downranked stuff trying to get something to land before everyone else tops off the tank.  Going from my crit gear to my mp5 gear and changing from HL to FoL on the same fight showed much better effective healing on my part with less overheal.

Finally: Holy Light healing is much more gear dependant than FoL healing.  What i've seen is that a minimum of 25% holy crit is recommended (with at least 2k +heal) to get started.

Jandris

Capn - I have been working more with FoL and stacking mp5 (still stacking heal as well) although I do have diff. levels of HL on hot keys as well. True I don't get in big heals but I hope I keep people alive while hots and other heals hit. I am not afraid to use any and all buffs (food or drinks) and I make sure I have them available.

I have a difficult time getting to instances as I have freq interruptions in my game play and I don't like to keep people waiting while I answer the phone or take out the puppy, etc. Which is why my rep sucks with HH and I can't get the head enchant.

I have been saving my badges and have about 90 or 92 at present, not many and why I am hesitant in using them without being really sure of what I am buying. I am also pvp'ing to work on upgrades that way.

I still have a hard time understanding the raid reports and would appreciate it if you would look over my performance and give me any suggestions for improvement.  At your convenience, of course. I have also been trying to remember to log out in my healing gear so that you can see what I have on the armory. Thanks for your help.