Shutting Down the Forum on Jan 4th for ~8-10hrs

Started by Shadowwolf, December 25, 2008, 09:12:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowwolf

Hey all,

The new server is up and running now and here comes the time to migrate everything over to it. To avoid a loss of posts and data, I need to shut down the forum for about 8-10hours while the DNS changes make their way across the net to you. Yes, it sucks, but theres really no easier way to do the move. I figure the Jan 4th is a Sunday, so if I do it that evening, it should be changed over for everyone by Monday morning sometime.

Ill provide a way for you to manually reach the new server so you can keep posting and whatnot if you wish as well.

This week is going to be a lot of testing for me and Koth to make sure everything ports over properly to the new server and once we are confident nothing will explode, I will make the move on the 4th of Jan. You should see an overall improvement on performance as well as some things within the forum that were not available here like spell check, etc.

I'll keep you all updated on the status of things if anything changes, but right now its set solidly for Jan 4th, the time is still up in the air though. As soon as I settle on a good time, Ill post that here as well.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Emmalina

Thanks for all your amazing work Shadow and Koth!

Set progress: D0/D1: 2/8, T1: 4/8, T2: 3/8, T3: 0/9, T4: 4/5, T5: 3/5, T6: 2/8, T7: 1/5, T8:4/5, T9: 3/5, T10: 0/5

Shadowwolf

Everything looks to be on schedule for this changeover. Koth and I have been testing the last few days and aside from some very minor bugs that cropped up from the new software, everything looks to be working just fine and ready for a move.

There's going to be some new features with the site as well like a Signature Generator, Arena Team comparison tool, and various other addons and improvements I am not going to say right now =)

I also have a surprise in the works for the Blog section once the move is complete and I will be opening up blogs for all guild Members and above with some small rules to follow with it just to keep things tidy. Basically its 1 rule, use it, heh. I dont want stale blogs hosted as its work for me and if you dont use it, its pointless to have it then, hehe.

Im also going to try and expand the surprise to beyond the Blog section as well.

Additionally, Im hoping to have the new main site layout finished up in the next few weeks. Im a little bit OCD with web design so it takes me a while to settle on a design I like and Im also known for changing things around completely at the last minute if I dont like it. Heres a few sneak peek screenies of some of the stuff to look forward too.

"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Air

"Don't be a Dick." - Wil Wheaton
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." - Will Rogers

Shadowwolf

Shadowwolf

Tolwen

wow! thank you so much Shadow and Koth :)
I was wondering if it would be possible to have a space where we can upload guild videos?(I have some of our bc fights recorded) and would love to take one from each 25mans boss, maybe we can even make our own how to kill videos, of course I will take responsibility for the videos since you already have a lot on your hands:)
I was also thinking of maybe making a guild video too like mixing some raid videos and focusing on the players, trying to fit everyone in the guild in like 5 or so min clip O0

oh btw, Air...your hp is slow ??? :D

Shadowwolf

Theres going to be a place to upload files yes.

Shadowwolf

Im going to do the shut down at around 6PM EST on Jan 4th so everyone knows. Ill post a temporary workaround for everyone to use optionally that will allow you to keep using the forum during the 8-10hrs it takes to propagate the change across the internet.

JohnnieRat

so you have to take the intertube, pick it up without spilling out file binders and then attach it to a new box?

Shadowwolf

I have to change the 1's and 0's to a larger and more elegant and most importantly streamline font so they dont get stuck in the line and clog it up =)

JohnnieRat

Just to state the obvious, this is easily the best looking and maintained WoW site I've been to. This includes  the "super" guild sites (elitistjerks, old nihilum which had corporate sponsorship and a team of people who only maintained it for cryin out loud).
I honestly think, if it's the direction our site gurus want to go, our site could potentially one of the knowledge centers of WoW quite easily. Where our class and raid strat sections become a collection of great minds from all over.

If the 0s and 1s get clogged I think that Drano or Roto Rooter man could fix it.

Shadowwolf

QuoteI honestly think, if it's the direction our site gurus want to go, our site could potentially one of the knowledge centers of WoW quite easily.

Its been thought and discussed about, yes. I think unintentionally this has already happened as we get a good level of traffic.

Shadowwolf