Jan 4th Transition starts @ ~2AM EST

Started by Shadowwolf, January 03, 2009, 03:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowwolf

I've decided to bump up the move to the new servers to 2AM my time. I felt it would be better as by mid morning, just about everyone should receive the DNS changes on their ISP, the very latest and remote people by tomorrow evening. This also gives me some reaction time should anything explode, though I have checked and re-checked about 80 times now so that shouldnt <crosses fingers> happen.

During the move, Im going to turn off this forum so no new posts can be made. This way no data is lost during the transition. Once everything propagates as it should, you should notice nothing different on the forum, but the website will be the new version. Thats how you will know that the transition has taken place for you. I will also place a splash page here letting you know this is the old location so that its easier to know when the transition is finished as well.

Unfortunately the cache time of your DNS is set by your ISP and there is nothing I can do to speed that process up. Most ISP's update when the records expire, which for our domain, its currently set to an 8 hour refresh. Some ISP's to regulate traffic to their servers have a refresh set to 12 hours, or more, it all depends on the ISP itself and how they run their network. The majority should see no more than an 8 hour downtime, most of you likely less than that, some few of you more.

For more information as to what this whole DNS thing is and why theres downtime, please reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System#Caching_and_time_to_live.

Again, I wish there was more I could do to alleviate the downtime, but because of how the internet works and also how this forum works, theres not a whole lot more I can do.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

fiere redfern

<-- Totally excited to see Twilight 3.0, no matter what time the changes are made.

Though, it works for me - I'm working tonight starting at 2am anyway XD

As always, thank you -so- much, Shadow and Koth for all your hard work in regards to the site - it's already an awesome-looking site so I can't wait to see what's in store with the new version.  :D

Shadowwolf

I need to also add, those of you with test blogs, please do not post anything until the refresh of your ISP has taken place.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess