aquiring Shadowmourne?

Started by Selthar, February 04, 2010, 07:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Selthar

ok. any 1 else besides me trying to get shadowmourne the epic axe? if so any tips on how to get it faster other than doing the random daily for the frost marks? ???

Tony

Only 2 ways to get it afaik. 575 emblems of frost for the saronite, or ~50k gold to buy them. After that we need to kill rotface and festergut for their blood. The list goes on and on. I'm pretty sure every pally DK and warrior are on the quest, but not sure how far along they are. I had 5 saronites saved up, but gear > saronite as of now... As much as I want it, it'll be a long time before we are killing the King on 25 hm.

sixrocko

Fama and I are on this quest.

Real easy start. Get quest and go to the cavern to get Light's Vengeance.

Next step sucks but you need the 25 saronites...Like Tony says. you need a ton of emblems for that or Gold. I am at 6 saronites atm. Gonna take a long time.

Then we need to down the 2 bosses mentioned above. I figure by the time I get all 25 primes we will be farming ICC25 lol

Anyway. The 2 hander you get from just completing the 1st questline is equal to anything coming out of ICC25.

I have set a goal for 1 to 2 months. For cash I am doing the dailies and a ton of randoms. I am getting the epic stones, cutting them ans sellin at the ah. It's a slow boat!

Docsamson

Crosspostin' this from the guild primordial saronite fund thread

QuoteHere's the deal.  Shadow's Edge is a decent axe.  However, other 2handers are better.  Bryntroll is (arguably) better.  Non-heroic 25man weapons are better.  If you're going for Shadow's Edge as a good weapon, don't bother.  The only major benefit in getting it is if you're planning on getting a Shadowmourne.  Once you forge Shadow's Edge, you then need to kill Putricide, Blood Queen Lana'thel, and Sindragosa doing very specific (and risky) things during the fight, and not die.  If you ever die during the fight, it resets the triggers you need to complete to do that part of the quest.  These bosses are all on shared attempts, which means dying while getting it means purposefully wiping to give you another shot is a bad idea.  In addition, we have not downed any of these bosses.  AFTER these bosses are down, you can begin to collect the 50 shards required to forge Shadowmourne.  These come only from 25man, and have an approximate 30% droprate from Normal mode kills, and 75% from Hardmode kills.  12 bosses in the citadel means it'll take you approximately 5.5 weeks of full-clearing the place on Hardmode to get one Shadowmourne, or 11 weeks of mixed normal/hardmode.  Considering we haven't even downed the first wing-boss (Putricide), I'd look long and hard at working up the saronite to get Shadow's Edge.

Tony

Doc, Bryntrol was nerfed so Shadow's Edge comes out on top at this point. It's basically bis (for non hard mode guilds) now since the change to the proc on bryntrol. Obviously, hm weapons are going to be better, but for our guild, it will be some time before we are doing those. At this time, the investment is worth it considering the luck we have with 2h weapons dropping. I think the only thing we will have trouble with are the blood from Festergut and Rotface. Once we get those two on farm, it should be downhill from there (gold investment-wise).

Docsamson

Quote from: Tony on February 20, 2010, 02:32:49 PM
Doc, Bryntrol was nerfed so Shadow's Edge comes out on top at this point. It's basically bis (for non hard mode guilds) now since the change to the proc on bryntrol. Obviously, hm weapons are going to be better, but for our guild, it will be some time before we are doing those. At this time, the investment is worth it considering the luck we have with 2h weapons dropping. I think the only thing we will have trouble with are the blood from Festergut and Rotface. Once we get those two on farm, it should be downhill from there (gold investment-wise).

Everything else still stands, though.  You're willing to spend 50k+ gold for a weapon that's BiS pre-hardmode, or 575 badges, that nobody in our guild currently has access to.  Honestly, wouldn't all that gold or badges be better spent upgrading (quite literally) every single other slot you have?  For 575 badges/50k gold, you can get 4pcT10(310 badges, helm/shoulder/chest/gloves) the cloak(50)/trinket(60)/belt(60)/crafted boots(5 saronite=115)/crafted legs(8 saronite=184).  Since that weapon is basically BiS for Warriors, Ret Paladins, and 2-hander wielding DKs, the trinket is one of the best items you can get.  So, 575 badges for a weapon, or 370 for 4pc T10 + a trinket that far surpasses anything we currently have, considering our luck with those.  For 575 badges, you can even get the cloak+belt, bringing our total to 480.  That leaves 95 emblems left, almost enough to get all the saronite necessary for your boots.  You are now wearing 4 pieces of 251 gear, 264 trinket/belt/cloak, and almost have another piece of 264 gear.  ALL OF THIS for less than the cost of a single 264 weapon.  Essentially, you can get an entire set of armor for the cost of a single weapon that we get ONE item per kill for, meaning for every person who has the saronite ready to go needs a clear of both.

I'm not saying don't get it, I'm saying consider the cost first, and weigh heavily whether or not it's worth it to devote your entire gold income, or your entire badge supply for the foreseeable future, to a single slot.

Tony

Dont get me wrong bro, I'm not planning on getting it. If I would have stuck to my original plan, I would have had the saronite by now. But as I said in my first post, gear > weapon. If at some point when I say that there really isnt much gear for me to get in ICC, than perhaps that is when I will start farming for it.