New pet I'm sure you've all heard about.

Started by Thane, December 04, 2007, 08:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thane

Nearly impossible to train...but how wicked would it be.

"Ghost wolf" is usually a term you associate with shamans, but now it might just become the keyword for the newest, rarest, most difficult to tame, and most visually unique hunter pet in the game. As the Mistress of Pets Mania's Arcania reports, some of the new Dustwallow Marsh content in Patch 2.3 involves some Grimtotem shamans who summon tamable ghost wolves. For most hunters, however, these ghost wolves will be impossible to tame, because a few seconds after they appear, they just die, regardless of how much damage they take. The only way to tame them involves using various items or abilities which can shorten the casting time of your "Tame Beast" spell down to a fraction of its original 20 seconds. Here's a list of what you need:

[Mystical Skyfire Diamond] -- This metagem can cut the time it takes to cast Tame Beast in half. You have to repeatedly cast various aspects until its special proc goes off.
[Drums of Battle] -- You need to either be a Leatherworker, or have one in your party who will use this for you just before you start your taming, in order to shave a few more moments off your taming time.
Heroism or Bloodlust -- The same ability with different names for Alliance and Horde shamans; having a friend in your party use this will further reduce your taming time by 30%.
Be a troll -- Trolls get a Berserking ability, which might just be the final little bit you need in order to cut down the taming time enough to snatch this ghostly wolf pet. As far as I know it's not absolutely necessary, but it sure helps a lot.

After all that, you need a macro or something to immediately target the wolf and start taming the very moment it appears. Then, you can pray for a few seconds and hope everything works. It may be very hard, but it has been done before -- though one person on Mania's site said that her new ghost pet died a second after she tamed it, possibly as a residual effect of its otherwise very limited lifespan. So if you want to try it, be patient, and don't get your hopes too high. Oh, and get ready for an extremely long leveling grind to get it up from 30 to 70. Hunter alts passing through Dustwallow as you level up: Don't even dream about it.

here's a pic..

http://www.maniasarcania.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/ghostwolf.png

Thane

Darkstar

If i was a hunter, i would defiantly try for this pet.......

Nasanna

I saw one in Shattrath the other day! I was wondering where hunters got them.

I have LW drums and heroism, so if anyone wants a hand taming one of these sometime, let me know and we can give it a shot.

Nixphire

Saw one in AB yesterday. Daaang they look awesome with that glow around them. A bit small, but awesome none the less!

Buzan

There was a thread on the WoW Realm Forums about how to do it and where to get them from.

I believe the authors were the first hunters to tame them, one of them being Azbulldog and I forgot the name of the other one.

Lord Entropy

Saw one in Shatt last night.  Pretty cool looking and the hunter already had it up to 61.

Tolwen

Air

Don't bother trying to tame one now.  Blizzard just applied a hotfix that won't allow those wolves to be tamed anymore.  This really bothers me to say the least.  Pet selection is pretty horribly as it is, when pets are more or less the same and the only difference is there looks.  With raiding there's a choice of 3 different pets or else run the risk of severely hampering your dps.  >:( ???

Source: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=3907976716&pageNo=1&sid=1#15
[blizzard] Through a hotfix we’ve recently removed the ability to tame a Grimtotem Spirit Guide. Players who have already gone through the trouble of taming the creature will be able to keep them unchanged. This hotfix only removes the possibility to tame this creature from here on.

The removal of the spirit guide has been debated within design discussions for a while now as to what impact the pet and its precedent has on the game.
The unintended nature of the taming, the undead status of the guide, appearance of the wolf in relation to the feel of the hunter class, and the complex processes of taming were all issues touched upon and discussed.

Ultimately the discussions brought us to the conclusion that this should not be a permanent addition to the pet selection available to hunters; however, those that have already tamed them should be allowed to keep them due to their efforts in obtaining one.[/blizzard]
"Don't be a Dick." - Wil Wheaton
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." - Will Rogers

Melonni

Aww that stinks. :( I woulda loved one of those if I made a hunter simply 'cause they look so cool.