Grrrr @ stupid slow connection...

Started by Fleecy, August 02, 2009, 07:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fleecy

I'm so frustrated with Cogeco atm (our cable & internet provider)... our internet connection is sooooo slow it feels like dial up!?!?!?!?!   >:(  ???

The last 2 nights it has been REALLY bad, I'm not really sure what's up, I'm gonna have Cy call them since he's good at getting this kind of stuff straightened out, I usually get too angry to deal with the people.   :-X  :-[

Until we figure out what's going on / our connection is a little better I won't be able to do much in game.  Last night running Ramparts and BF with Leth and Glory I couldn't even cast moonfire on my druid before they were dead... all of my instant casts were taking 3-4 seconds or more to cast... 

Hopefully it will be straightened out soon!

Shadowwolf

Could have Comcast, they like to "schedule maintenance" without telling a soul and when they do, its out for about 8hrs and oh, yea, no credited bill either.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Grendeel

I so hate internet slowness.   Good luck with Cogeco.

Just as a suggestion (and maybe for everyone),  things tend to get on our system even if we do have anti-virus software.  I recently had an issue (not related to yours), and found a site that helped me with it.  I recommend anyone to use this site if they are having computer internet issues or virus problems. (sorry Tol...its not a mac one :P , but I'm sure sites for macs are out there as well ).  What might be helpful for you is the last post in the thread i created asking for help.  Aside from the  issue i had, these steps noticeably increased my internet speed and browsing.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Avg-updates-wont-happen-all-other-anti-virsus-software-wont-instal-t245075.html

In that last post, they give recommendations on how to secure your computer with free software.  Among the things it does is (and provides links):

1.  Create a registry backup of a harddrive using "Erunt"
2.   "Active X" (all computers using windows use this i think) is where computers tend to get into trouble.  The post gives directions how to change the settings so that you will be prompted before an active x control gets used on your computer.
3.  Provides a little program to clear the temporary internet files
4.  Provides a link to firefox and recommends using it....or another browser.  Anything but IE
5.  Provides a link to "noscript" pluggin for firefox.  This blocks ads and other stuff.   As a note, read how this addon works.   Every "safe" site i browsed had things blocked.  Like Shadows site.  It uses flash and i had to allow permission for flash to work on her website.
6.  Provides a link to "spywareblaster" which immunizes a computer from bad active x controls
7.  Provides a good real-time anti-spyware protection program
8.  Provides a file to rename a computers hostfiles. Host files tend to house quick hard to notice redirects to ad sites and tracker sites.  These redirects are quite common, even with anti-virus software.  This little program doesnt eliminate them, it just changes the redirects to your own computer.   This makes them essentially non existent.
9. Provides a little file which checks for updates available to programs you use (such as flash, adobe, nividia drivers, winrar, etc etc).   It constantly monitors them and tells you when updates are available.   I had 11 when i installed it :P

There are other things there as well.

5 and 8 really sped up my internet browsing.   Slowness wasn't noticeable until i did these things and then it was unbelievable how fast surfing was :)

I highly recommend everyone use their website. Follow their instructions on how to clean up your registry (thats the things they had me do throughout the thread).     Dont do the things they asked me to do.  I mean create your own thread on their forums, following there rules. After that (or if you think your registry is already clean), "immunize" your computer as they suggest in the last post.  If you do this, i doubt any wow account would ever be hacked  with a keylogger.

Fleecy

Cy called, they said that there was a call earlier and that there was some noise on the line or something but that it should be corrected by 4 am this morning.  Looks like it's fixed now!  :D