Main Menu

/angryface

Started by fiere redfern, January 20, 2010, 09:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fiere redfern

So, for the past couple weeks, my laptop has been slowly dying on me. It started small, at first. Coming back online from hibernate started becoming tetchy... then not working at all if I had the laptop plugged into the wall. Booting from battery worked just fine, but I had to let the drive sit and figure itself out before I could jack it in. Occasionally, it'd error - nothing huge, but the fingerprint tray would cease to function and freeze up the screen until Vista figured out what was going on. Okay, fine, I can deal.

Now, though, that damnable little fingerprint tray (which I never spec'd for when I bought the stupid machine, by the way) has decided to take its game a step further. It now errors on bootup, causing my laptop to scream "error, error! Danger, Will Robinson!" and restart to fix itself. Which it never does, so it reboots. Again. And again. And again. Nothing I've done to try and get past the error has worked - safemode won't let me past the login screen, using a sys recovery disc to force windows to stay alive after it throws an error does nothing, and chkdsk and all the other BiOS-status utilities say everything is groovy on their end. Which leaves me frustrated, pissed off, and out of ideas.

Fortunately for my sanity (and the health of my laptop), the HDD is unscathed. At the moment I'm currently copying all my important files (my AddOns and WTF folder made it onto the external first... go go priorities), and then overnight I'll be wiping the drive completely and reinstalling Vista. And here I was hoping to have a relaxing night after my first day at the new gig :(

Argh.

Deadlymijo

Give it a love kick Fie if doesnt help stomp on it, hehe jk im sry to hear I hope you get it working

Tony

I have access to windows 7 from Technet for "testing purposes"

pm me if you want to give it a shot.