balance/feral druids

Started by Vengeance, August 24, 2006, 03:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vengeance

id like to know which is better of the 2-a feral druid or a balance one? when ever i see a balance druid (not often) i just cant seem to kill them in BGs or duels. Feral is also quite boring for me in the higher lvls but it makes something easier and some not.
just wondering about this

Kothnok

Shadow's a balance druid and loves it.
I'm a feral/resto druid and love that.

Both have their benefits and problems.  I wouldn't say either is generically better than the other.  All depends on how you wish to play.

Dharq may have a better opinion on this having recently switched from uber feral to Balance.
No matter how often you refill the gene pool, there's always a shallow end.

dharq

Once you get the gear, I think both of them are probably about 100% equal. Feral just has to apply all of its skill in melee and balance gets to apply it at range. That's about the only diff I see.

My problem is that at this point, I have a complete set of feral gear (except for the shoulders), and I won't be able to improve on that aspect until we hit AQ or so... So I switched to balance for something different.

I'm finding it's a whole lot easier to grab aggro than it was even in cat form. It's also harder to shake aggro once you have it. It's fun to apply 1400 crits from range with even pretty poor caster gear (I was hitting for 1800-1900 at best in cat form), and I can't wait to see it when I have +200 spell dmg gear on! :)

On the downside, the mana drain is god awful. I drink about every 2-3 fights (maybe every 1 if it's a long fight), and I keep mages in business! I almost always run out of mana during boss fights and have to quaff a potion.

The biggest diff for me is in pvp though. Balance allows me to play more of a harrasser roll in PvP--which I love. Feral allowed me to get more kill shots, but I was a lot less effective IMO than I am in moonie. Damage is important in PvP, but root stopping a warrior/priest mid charge before they get to the group and watching them waste their AOE fear is priceless!

Play what you want, both are viable late game, but you'll end up needing to heal more often for boss mobs than not. -AND- with balance I'm only carrying one set of gear around instead of 3. That frees up a lot of bag space.

un4

Quote from: dharq on August 25, 2006, 05:43:14 AMThe biggest diff for me is in pvp though. Balance allows me to play more of a harrasser roll in PvP--which I love. Feral allowed me to get more kill shots, but I was a lot less effective IMO than I am in moonie. Damage is important in PvP, but root stopping a warrior/priest mid charge before they get to the group and watching them waste their AOE fear is priceless!
I hate people like you :(
un4

Vengeance

wow would i love to carry only 1 set of gear hehe
i think ill switch to balance today, the rest into resto, and although i dont really have such great caster gear (and sadly, cloth)i do just fine with what i have
thanks for the info  ;)

Tolwen

i used to be balance till 51-2 its pretty fun but i didnt have good gears for it and went feral at that time... i leveled pretty fast in feral and could kill hard mobs that i couldnt  befor ...
after a week or 2 in 60 i changed to resto for some reasons...( i alwayz taught Resto druids sux till that time )

but after that i can admit i have had alot of fun ( unt kill alot of mobs or solo stuffs doh ) , Druid as a healer can be really + . u can put idk what was that purple heal called right now ( the one that is instant ) and then use swiftmend

I belive a Resto Druid is as good as a Priest is

and u can alwayz use Resto to get your dungen set then change to Balance :D

Darkling

Quote from: dharq on August 25, 2006, 05:43:14 AM
Damage is important in PvP, but root stopping a warrior/priest mid charge before they get to the group and watching them waste their AOE fear is priceless!

Un4 may hate you either because of the damage or the root stopping, but all i can say is this: Thingiebob is a Gnome Rogue (which you all know), and Gnomes have a natural ability called 'Escape Artist.' Then a nice supply of free action potion is nice too...

dharq

Evil, wicked little gnome!

What you say is true, but you notice i said target priests and warriors in group pvp ;)  there's a reason for that. ;)

un4

Quote from: Thingiebob on August 25, 2006, 01:09:29 PM
Un4 may hate you either because of the damage or the root stopping, but all i can say is this: Thingiebob is a Gnome Rogue (which you all know), and Gnomes have a natural ability called 'Escape Artist.' Then a nice supply of free action potion is nice too...
Mostly just for starfire and fairy fire.
un4

Darkling

Fairy fire is easy to work around. build combo points, cheap shot. hit for a few seconds build up more combo points. then blind. by then, fairy fire is over. vanish. all over for the druid.

un4

Sure, one on one.  If the druid has five buddies though, that fairy fire is going to screw you over... unless you can kill them all without needing to stealth.
I have yet to meet a group of players so bad that they can't swarm a player of the max level for a BG and not take him down when he's crippled.
un4

Vengeance

all people (excluding rogues) like to see enemy rogues die...im among them-so its a pretty good thing ive got my fairy fire and roots, and then i pwn em-bad thing for me in feral is that i have enough mana to only heal myself for around 3 times, and if my innervate is on cooldown im dead. another reason why i find balance much more efficient now in my opinion

un4

Don't rely on roots to hold a rogue.  Vanish clears all movement-imparing effects.

As far as loving to see enemy rogues dying, a group of five rogues is practically unbeatable.  I led one yesterday in WSG, and we assassinated the FC in less than five seconds... after sapping his guards.
un4

dharq

un4

I think it still breaks the movement effects.

Unrelated, but you're reading this thread anyway:
Is twilightclan.com under maintenance or did we get hacked again?  I can't log in or check the forums.
un4