Cable down <9/14>

Started by Shadowwolf, September 14, 2010, 09:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowwolf

I'm out for the night unfortunately.   Comcrap had decided to do scheduled maint without actually scheduling it with anyone for my area tonight. They say it won't be back online till 6am. Good run, congrats on the titles for who got them, I'll put a continue up sun or mon.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Avelandra

Damn, thats one reason I had comcrap. I lost a DVRed show because they flashed my box tonight.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" - Possum Lodge Motto
I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together.

Kothnok

That sucks. =(

Maintenance shouldn't take that long and if it does... shouldn't there be a backup server to take it's place?
No matter how often you refill the gene pool, there's always a shallow end.

Docsamson

Quote from: Kothnok on September 14, 2010, 09:52:51 PM
That sucks. =(

Maintenance shouldn't take that long and if it does... shouldn't there be a backup server to take it's place?

There probably was, but for a lot of residential areas it's my understanding that due to a lot of companies pushing capacity so much, the "backups" got rolled into the main servers, and are actually used as primary machines now, and backups are non-existent.  If you're not lucky enough to live in/near an area that's actually under peak capacity, you're going down for maintenance.  Back in CA, when they did maintenance they'd shunt our area's traffic onto another region's.  We knew when "scheduled maintenance" was going on because our speeds would tank abysmally low.

Shadowwolf

Comcast doesnt have a need to accommodate backup systems for customers because they have a monopoly in the area. You cant get any other cable company and FIOS is having issues being completed, so they know that its either them or a Dish system of some sort for competition or DSL for internet which doesnt compare speed wise.

Its a simple issue of "haha, you cant do anything about it so too bad".
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess