Those DAMN prince infernals...and the reasons for em

Started by Arcdelad, January 21, 2008, 06:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcdelad

[blizzard]The need for some amount of randomness was gone over at BlizzCon in the Raid & Dungeons panel, I would recommend looking up some of those shakey-cams on youtube if you've never seen them. Some good insight on design of the encounters.

I would agree that the light-heartedness of the Opera is a really refreshing change, and it was great there's a place for it in Karazhan. In a world of demon-infested castles, dungeons, and dark caves it's not every one you can create such an event and have it fit and make sense. So, I think the Opera event was more a product of location than of the desire to make something a bit more whimsical.

As for Prince Malchezaar and that fight, yeah it's got the whole random thing going on with the infernals. However; you can mitigate the randomness of their drops any number of ways. By being over-geared you can certainly deal with the problems better as they crop up, but then really why are you fighting Prince? You can also track the fall of the infernals, have a barker that's good at watching them and able to anticipate their placement. Or, use one of a couple different placement strategies that make it almost impossible for an infernal to interfere. The last one being the most popular these days I suspect.

Encounters need randomness, as small as miraculously dodging that one hit, all the way up to a fight randomly dropping green meteors on your face. There has to be some amount of randomness, or there's no human element, no need for you and your group to adapt and react, which doesn't make for a fun and engaging fight.[/blizzard]

LastDyingBreath

Shadowwolf

The Menagerie is for guests only.

<ahem> I mean...

I'll show you this beaten dog still has some teeth!

No...wait...thats not it...

You face not Malchezaar alone, but the legions I command!
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Nasanna

I always laugh when he runs from one end of the platform to the other when we pull... he has such a funny running style.

Fleecy

lmao, not quite.....but at least it's better than ur bear gallop  :P

Buzan

fiere redfern

Don't think so - I think it's just a commentary on WHY the encounter is the way it is, and why the infernal drops aren't more scripted.

Nasanna

But female draenei have tails and really curvy spines so it looks more elegant ;)