Moving Twilight website to a new server...

Started by Shadowwolf, December 02, 2008, 04:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowwolf

In the last few weeks ive been trying to add and improve some aspects of the site for all of you, but Im not running into a small wall of sorts of a technology limitation on the server back end. The current server is running a slightly older version of Linux which is limited in what other applications it can run for things like this website. Because of that, little small features of the forum are disabled, things with the main site are as well, different things I want to add are not possible, and I finally had enough of the headache of that limitation and am buying and setting up a new server.

Im trying to get this done before the new year comes as I also want to release a new look and feature version of the main site as well as some other things but my time line is limited based on how quickly the new server arrives.

Basically v3 of the site will have a new look as well as new options for guild members, signature image generators, the Blogs will be in full effect for all members who want them, small improvements in performance and little nifty features of the forum like Spell Check (*cough* Arc), Video Streaming capability and so on.

Im just letting you all know now as during this next month, whenever the new server arrives, I will be having to work hard to migrate everything over to the new server in a short time to avoid paying extra fees for IP's and whatnot with the ISP. Because of this there may be some sporadic downtime between moving things and I wanted everyone to be aware its for a good cause. Ill do my best to avoid any downtime, but sometimes no matter how hard you try, stuff still breaks.  :-\
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

JohnnieRat

Holy crap don't scare me like that Shadow. I saw "Moving Twilight to a new server" as "Alexstrasza is overfull so we're going to one of the free transfer realms."

kajunlady

" The Hardest Job is watching day by day your children grow up and wondering if you really did do all you could for them"
unknown

" I did it because I can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said YOU said I couldn't"
UNKNOWN
"The futue is not something we enter,but something we create"
UNKNOWN

Avelandra

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" - Possum Lodge Motto
I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together.

Shadowwolf

"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Urmyboyblue

wow shadow...wish we could help ya somehow lol, servers arent really cheap...and its not like you already dont give us enough of your time and Effort. if theres anything i can do to help let me know, ill do it.

Drygioni

Thank you so much Shadow. For everything you do for Us. It really cannot be said enough.

Jandris

I completely agree with Dry - you are incredible - thanks for everything.

un4

Let us know if there's any way to help... and not just on the tech side.
un4

Rocknlock

Hope the site will still be cellphone internet friendly ???

Trismus

Quote from: Drygioni on December 02, 2008, 06:59:04 AM
Thank you so much Shadow. For everything you do for Us. It really cannot be said enough.

+1, I don't think I could have said it better.

:Fosters_Pack:

-Tris
Most people think Marv is crazy. He just had the rotten luck of being born in the wrong century. He'd be right at home on some ancient battlefield swinging an axe into somebody's face.

Shadowwolf

Urmyboyblue

Trismus

Most people think Marv is crazy. He just had the rotten luck of being born in the wrong century. He'd be right at home on some ancient battlefield swinging an axe into somebody's face.