I have never downloaded an addon help?! =P

Started by Jilinna, November 08, 2007, 04:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jilinna

hey everyone =)

As my subject suggests i have never downloaded an addon and need some help  :P
I have NO idea what to do lol and was wondering if someone could explain to me how to download an addon if so, tht would be most appreciated :)

-Jilinna  O0
Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness and a gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and leads to all that is good, true and beautiful.
-PLATO

herothirtythree

1. Download your addon (many sites to choose from)
2. Decompress addon (use winzip or winrar)
3. Move addon to the correct folder
   A. The "correct folder" is your addons folder
   B. This is usually found the following way
       My computer
         Program Files
           World of Warcraft
            Interface
             Addons
4. Launch wow
5. Load out-of-date addons
    A. This can be done on the character select screen
    B. Click on Addons on the lower left
    C. Check the box labeled "Load out of date addons"
6. Continue to your character, the addon will now be available

some addons have GUIs (graphical user interfaces)
some addons use slash commands
refer to the author of the addon for specifics

Gutboy

One quick thing I'll add is that some addons come with several modules in one big folder, which won't work if you just drop it into Addons. To check this, open the new addon's folder. If you can see some files (including one with a .toc extension), you're good to go. If you just see a bunch of folders and no individual files, you need to drag all those folders out of the folder they're in and into Addons as a group.

GB

"Impossible odds, mentally unbalanced foes, cramped quarters for a good punch-up... and people say Iest has no night life."
-- Cerebus

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but by God, they frighten me."
-- The Duke of Wellington

herothirtythree

yeah, great add.

you wont encounter TOO many addons like the one gutboy was talking about, but if you were to encounter it, just follow his instructions, and it will work for you

Shadowwolf

Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Jilinna

k thnx u =)..got the files all worked our but when i try to download it doesnt work and comes up with an error ..when it get to the part about paint lol idk??
Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness and a gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and leads to all that is good, true and beautiful.
-PLATO

herothirtythree

screenshot the error for me.

are you able to finish the download?
what site are you downloading from?
whats the name of the addon?

Jilinna

im going to split pic of error cuzz im taking it from my phone i dont know how to take a screenshot hope it comes out ok =X
and im using www.curse.com
and im downloading Download Atlas (v1.10.2)
and it did not finish downloading it stopped at a error when it trys to open paint.
P.S im on my dads comp my name isnt john XD and im not a guy =P

-PLATO

herothirtythree

for some reason it is associating a .zip file with paint.exe

if this is windowsxp do the following

open my computer
at the top click on the tools menu
choose last option "folder options..."
click on the "file types" tab
scroll all the way down till you find ZIP under the extensions column.
what do you have next to it under the file types column? im guessing you have paint there.
highlight ZIP by clicking on it once with the left mouse button
down where it says detail.. open with:
i want you to click change and try and find winzip or winrar

If this doesnt work for you, or you cannot locate winzip or winrar, go ahead and download winrar from here:
http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm  <-- choose first option
its free, when you are going through the installation process associate .zip files with it.
then try to do the download again

lemme know if you are successful

Jilinna

Nope have Windowsvista
..i tryed the steps im not a comp person so it might just be me but its still not working
- thnx u for ur help so far i appreciate it =)
-PLATO

herothirtythree

yeah those steps are for xp not vista
here are the steps for doing so in vista, with screenshots:
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877_11-6172036.html

winrar is compatible with vista. i would suggest trying to download it if you are not so tech-savy, as it is probably the easiest way to re-associate the extension.  have you tried getting it yet?

un4

I always scan the addons for spy/adware and viruses before installing.  I've never found anything from a download on our site, but it doesn't hurt.

I'm also not downloading anything for a while >.<
un4

Jilinna

k im trying the steps now but wht do i Do on figure C which File Program do i click?
-PLATO

herothirtythree

you need to find a file decompresser on your computer, usually WinZIP.  If you cannot find winzip, you should download it or another decompresser (namely, winRAR)

Jilinna

UPDATED: lol doesnt show the error anymore i just downloaded WinRAR and it seems to be working =P...now to try to figure out how to download an addon =P
-PLATO