I have never downloaded an addon help?! =P

Started by Jilinna, November 08, 2007, 04:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzan

Only downloaded one addon for Wow since I started playing it and that was Decursive.

It's not hard at all first you need a program like WinZip to extract the files so just dowload the program, run it using WinZip and choose the addon folder in your WOW directory to extract the files to.

Jilinna

im srry if i sound like a complete door knob but how do u add adonns to the folder??...im following steps but i dont know where to Extrat to ( add the addon lol)??
Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness and a gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and leads to all that is good, true and beautiful.
-PLATO

un4

Easiest way probably is to move the zipped file into your "Addons" folder and then "Extract to here."
un4

Grendeel

Heh i know where u are coming from.  I still remember it all being foreign to me :(

As long as you have the unzipping utility (i use winrar) this only requires a couple steps.

First download the addon that you wish to use (i download it to my desktop).  Its in a zipped format at this point.

Second, right click the dowloaded zipped file.  One option there should be "extract to" or "extract files...".  Chose this option and a window will open up. In that window navigate to the  WoW addon folder and highlight it.  Then click ok.  Now you are done and the addon should work (unless its an unusual one

Jilinna

sigh  >:(..i tryed downloading it but it still goes to paint error idk wht to do i downloaded winRAR i followed the steps
i saved it to the addons folder then when i click open comes up with the paint error?
Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness and a gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and leads to all that is good, true and beautiful.
-PLATO

Grendeel

It sounds like paint is the default app to open a zip file for some reason.  Its trying to open a file format it doesnt understand.  Maybe someone can change that setting for you.   I know ive done it before but forget how.  You can try another approach to it also.  I just re downloaded omen this way to make sure i got the steps right and it works fine.

1.   Open winrar up
2.   Click on the wizzard icon at the top
3.   Select Unpack an archive
4.   Browse to where you have the zip file saved and click open
5.   Browse to where you want to place the unzipped file
6.   Click finish and it should be done

Jilinna

kk i followed all ur steps seem to be working i can get to open folder without an error but it doesnt show up on WoW  :-\
-PLATO

herothirtythree

it may not have a gui.  is it showing up after you hit the addons button at the character select screen? as in, is it even IN there? that means its properly installed (if it is)

you may need to check the box labeled "load out of date addons" as well

Jilinna

lol i dont see it on the addon button..sigh i didnt think it would be this hard to download an addon  :P
-PLATO

Lynette

You may be unzipping the file into a location that WoW doesn't recognize.

1.  Ensure that the directories containing the addon are located in c:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns (or substitute c:\Program Files\World of Warcraft with the location of where you installed WoW).  You have to be careful when unzipping the downloaded file that you direct the addon directories to be installed in this location - for me, the default location is something different, so I have to modify the location every time I unzip.
2.  Start WoW
3.  Login and proceed to the Character Select Screen
4.  Click the "AddOn" button in the lower left hand portion of the screen
5.  Your Addon should be listed.  If it isn't, then something isn't right.

Jilinna

-PLATO

herothirtythree

where is wow stored on your computer?  make sure you dont have two copies of wow.

Jilinna

lol i got it to work after =P..thnx u to everyone who help me =)
haha grendeel told me i only was to click once not double click the addons folder tht is wht i have been doing wrong  ::)

lol anyways thnx u to everyone tht put up with my questions lol and in the end it work  :D  O0

-PLATO

herothirtythree

lol well im glad you got it working :)

(youll quickly become and addon junky - this is normal!!! haha in 3 months you wont be able to see your screen ^^ )

Blacranger

lol i followed those steps and got winrar i downloaded the stuff like the quest addon and auctioneer addon earlier so do I have 2 drag those into winrar?