Prot DPS weapons

Started by Gutboy, May 16, 2008, 11:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gutboy

As the third or fourth tank in most of our raids, I spend a lot of time in my DPS gear spamming Devastate and Shouting a lot. :) I generally gear out that set according to Fury guidelines, but I'm a little unsure about what kind of weapons work best. Right now I have [item]The Decapitator[/item] in main hand, and I've been testing [item]Emerald Ripper[/item] and [item]Fool's Bane[/item] in off hand. It looks like the badge off hand fist weapons would be better DPS in that slot, but which would be a better choice, the fast one or the slow one?

Any other gear suggestions for this role? My Armory listing shows what I generally wear for raid DPS or soloing (other than the fishing pole  ;)). Thanks!

GB

"Impossible odds, mentally unbalanced foes, cramped quarters for a good punch-up... and people say Iest has no night life."
-- Cerebus

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but by God, they frighten me."
-- The Duke of Wellington

Trismus

before 2.3 I would have told you to go with the fast one.

Now, given that whirlwind utilizes BOTH weapons, and is based upon weapon damage, I would say that you should go for the slow one unquestioningly. It will be the most DPS.

Other then that just gear/gem for fury in terms of DPS i.e. Crit rating until 34% then Attack power, maintaining 150-ish hit rating if possible and as much expertise as you can use.

-Tris
Most people think Marv is crazy. He just had the rotten luck of being born in the wrong century. He'd be right at home on some ancient battlefield swinging an axe into somebody's face.

Gutboy

Thanks, that's what I need to hear. And I figure that a +20 Str enchant would be good on the offhand, right?

Prot DPS is not exactly a well-respected "spec," but there are those of us who enjoy it.  8)

GB

"Impossible odds, mentally unbalanced foes, cramped quarters for a good punch-up... and people say Iest has no night life."
-- Cerebus

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but by God, they frighten me."

Trismus

depends on the funds you have. Honestly, executioner mainhand and 'goose offhand is almost always the way to go for a warrior. 20 str is a good 40 ap that scales with kings, but wont give you the optimal dps increase. That said, investing in a 600g enchant is not necessarily worthwhile if you don't have the cash and are not a primary DPSer.

-Tris
Most people think Marv is crazy. He just had the rotten luck of being born in the wrong century. He'd be right at home on some ancient battlefield swinging an axe into somebody's face.

Gutboy

Yeah, I have Mongoose on King's Def and Decap already. Don't think I can swing paying for Executioner on an offspec MH and then Mongoose (again) on the OH. Think I'll save up for the Mallet... and something good on the MS/Arms alt's 2H.  :)

GB

-- Cerebus