Gadgets

Started by Nixphire, September 07, 2008, 10:09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nixphire

I recall reading a while ago either Shadow or Koth was trying to work on some kind of Vista Gadget to show new posts on the forums. Did either of you masters of the IT universe figure that out and I missed the post?
Just checking because that randomly popped into my head.
Thanks!

Kothnok

I made one that would only show the public forum posts.  Since all the member only forums would be hidden, I found it less than useful.  It's a limitation of Gadgets dealing with cookies and security that cannot currently be overcome.
No matter how often you refill the gene pool, there's always a shallow end.

Shadowwolf

The forum has an RSS feed, I think the only way you could get it working is if you had an RSS display gadget for the sidebar and used IE to always leave yourself logged in to the forum. The RSS address is

http://forum.twilightonalex.com/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml

If it doesnt know you are logged in it will only display the latest publicly accessible posts.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Kothnok

The RSS feed is also limited in the same way.  I spent a long time reading up on why and it's basically a security issue that the SMF authors refuse to address at this time (I'll check again, it's been a few months since I last looked into it).
No matter how often you refill the gene pool, there's always a shallow end.

Nixphire

Nothing too important. I was just wanting to check on it.
Thanks  :)