My New PC

Started by Iliessa, January 15, 2009, 12:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iliessa

I have never had a gaming computer before. I have dreamed of building my own for several years but have never been in a financial situation where I could do so. My last setup involved a $500 Wal-Mart special which got me an average of 8-14 FPS tops. For my birthday a few months ago I was lucky enough to get a new monitor and graphics card, but what my fiancee got me for Christmas this year just showed up in the mail the other day and AMG I HAVE GOT TO BRAG NOW.

The case has 3 temperature sensors that are displayed on the front of the case just in case you want to overclock the sucka.

Specs:
MOBO - Asus M3N72-D NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound
RAM - 8Gb DDR2-800 PC6400
Hard Drive - 320Gb 7200 RPM
Video Card - eVGA NVIDIA 9600GT 512Mb x2 running in SLI
Processor - AMD Athlon™ X2 6000+ (3.1GHz) Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
Keyboard - Logitech G15 Programmable Gaming Keyboard
And all the pretty neon blue lights that make me feel uber uber leet.

I get 60 FPS while soloing and 30+ in Dalaran. I believe this can be improved with some tweaking, plus I hear there is a FPS cap that you can edit/remove.

But the best thing about this machine is that it only cost 800 dollars. (minus the keyboard, second video card and 4Gb of RAM. I also ordered it without an OS installed.)

So if anyone out there has been considering upgrading their current PC and you need as many parts as I did, I would highly suggest visiting www.ibuypower.com. If you don't need very many parts and are confident that you can install them yourself, www.newegg.com has the least expensive parts of any website I have seen. Be sure to double check compatibility with your current equipment and read the reviews of anything you're thinking about throwing some cash at.

Shadowwolf

Just so you know, heh, anything above 60FPS you're eye cant distinguish the difference =)

The human eye can only recognize 60 FPS in a video game which is what it considers real time movement, anything above that is generally wasted, which is why most cards will peak out at 60. If you can manage 60 everywhere and 30 in Dalaran thats likely the best you'll get right now with WoW. Dalaran is really bad with FPS because its overcrowded in a smaller space than what Shattrath was so the more objects the card has to render on the screen the lower your FPS.

Congratulations on the new machine tho.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Iliessa

Quote from: Shadowwolf on January 15, 2009, 02:28:10 AM
Just so you know, heh, anything above 60FPS you're eye cant distinguish the difference =)

/snip
Oh I'm sure you're right! I'm more interested in seeing what the cards are capable of doing in WoW than noticing more of a quality difference above 60. Just so I can run around in circles in my living room going "AMG I GET 250FPS I R TEH UBER LEETNEES FTW!".

Okay so 250 is an overshoot, but you get the idea :)

Nasanna

oooh fancy! Enjoy having all your ingame settings turned all the way up :)

moonras

Nice Essa, grats on the new pc.

Haderach

"Lord of Snaxxramas"
"Who need's a real doctor when you have my machines and their scary needles?" Dr.Zed from Borderlands

Docsamson

Note that depending on your monitor, the 60FPS you're hitting *might* be the locked-in VSync rate, which limits your framerate to never be greater than the refresh rate of your monitor.  If you allow this to go higher, it might actually increase tearing and other graphical glitches.

But good lord that thing's a BEAST!  Congrats and have fun tweaking it!