Tank gemming policy?

Started by Gutboy, March 28, 2009, 11:50:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gutboy

Much to my surprise, I find myself with several pieces of Valorous tier gear  :), so I want to do right by them. Is it still general policy to use max Stam gems in every socket regardless of color? I have a couple of red sockets open right now, which I could gem for Parry, Dodge, or Expertise, or with purple gems I could combine Stam with any of those. (The socket bonus in each case is dodge.)

For what it's worth, I already have 7 stam gems in my tank set... yay blacksmithing!

Any votes?

GB

"Impossible odds, mentally unbalanced foes, cramped quarters for a good punch-up... and people say Iest has no night life."
-- Cerebus

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but by God, they frighten me."
-- The Duke of Wellington

Apolla

I would say at this point, it boils down to keeping your meta active and possible socket bonuses.

In most of my gear i have STA gems and STA/Exp. gems for my red slots.  If you need to capitalize on yellow slots I would recommend getting the 16 defense gems as they still give alot of avoidance.

Other than that, stam it up cap'n =P

*I am not concerned with the details.*

LastDyingBreath

defense < 540 gem for defense
defense > 540 gem for stam.

24 stam gems in red/yellow slots unless the socket bonus is really juicy.

Or be a JC and never have to worry about matching socket bonuses.

Air

This is what I usually go with.

Red:
[item]Guardian's Twilight Opal[/item] - for threat
[item]Regal Twilight Opal[/item] - for avoidance
[item]Glimmering Monarch Topaz[/item] - to get crit immune

Yellow:
[item]Enduring Forest Emerald[/item] - for avoidance / to get crit immune
[item]Accurate Monarch Topaz[/item] - for threat
[item]Thick Autumn's Glow[/item] - to get crit immune

Blue:
[item]Solid Sky Sapphire[/item]

I'm a JCer so I try to put some prismatic stamina gem's in my gear.  My rule for prismatic gem's is to put them in gear with stamina socket bonuses. And to generally put them in yellow socket's since that's usually the weakest one.

I've also regemmed my gear for avoidance in preparation of Ulduar, instead of threat as in the past.
"Don't be a Dick." - Wil Wheaton
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." - Will Rogers