Main Menu

Beowulf

Started by Arcdelad, November 16, 2007, 06:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcdelad

As im sure a lot of people know, today a new version of "Beowulf" is going to be released in theatres nationally...this is a robert zemeckis (back to the future, etc) directed film adaptation of the 11th century epic poem.

Beowulf is a literary standard...this poem is one of the first "english" examples of literature around, and introduces some great literary conventions. Its also bloody, sexy, and chaulk full of epic one on one duels.

While I hear the movie is crappy, I would definitely recommend anyone pickup this book and read it. It can be read in one sitting, is a great read, and will give you some good culture :)

...and youll see where Gren took his name from :)

I would recommend the newly translated version with this cover:

capnpop

I must say that I enjoyed this book when I read it (I have that translation minus the movie hype included in it).  Anyways, good story/book

Buzan

Read the book, know the story going to watch the movie.

On that note: I AM SLASHER, TEARER, RIPPER, TEETH IN THE DARKNESS! I AM BEOWULF!

Arcdelad

I heard its in some new fangled 3D....im all for seeing angelina jolie in 3d...hehehe

Threlin

After reading Beowulf, I would also recommend Grendel by John Gardner.

It is a modern retelling of the story from another viewpoint. ;)

Surprisingly (to me at least) the movie has a rating of 71% on Rotten Tomatoes.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/beowulf/

Buzan

Quote from: Arcdelad on November 16, 2007, 07:58:22 AM
I heard its in some new fangled 3D....im all for seeing angelina jolie in 3d...hehehe

I completely agree with you Arc.

I can't wait to see it tonight!

Arcdelad

wow threl...didnt even know that existed...im am a HUGE fan of authors that take another work and retell a portion of it from a different perspective...

Jean Ryhs did that with "Wide Sargasso Sea", where she took the charachter of "Bertha" who was a crazy woman locked in the attic (just like my wife), and retold the story from her perspective...

Virginia Woolf also did it with one of her own stories...she took a minor person who got one sentance mentioned about them in "Mrs. Dalloway", and did a short story from that extremely minor charachters's perspective...

im going to pick that up threl...thanks!

un4

I have a poetry translation of the Ode.  Definately a good read, but I prefer Michael William's poetry :P
un4

Rahaena

Seth and I own Beowulf and Grendel... good movie, not much advertised. Am excited to see this one, at first seeing the advert I thought it was a real movie... then they showed a scene with him swinging around something and I thought it looked awfully surreal. I saw it again and noticed it was all CG =) can't wait to see it, loved the animation of FF and this looks to be far superior

Trismus

whelp, I saw this in 3d a while ago and I figured I'd post my take on it:

Pretty freakin' cool. Maybe it's the 3d stuff. Maybe it's Angelina Jolie's avatar almost completely exposed. Maybe it's the fact that it's a decently accurate retelling of the story (for Hollywood, mind you, avid readers will still fly through the roof but what else did you expect? :p ).

Definitely worth going to see in 3d. Was fun to see and the new way of viewing movies is awesome. I'd give it a solid recommendation. It's a good movie, just not on caliber with something like Pi, The Fountain, Red Dawn, et al.
Most people think Marv is crazy. He just had the rotten luck of being born in the wrong century. He'd be right at home on some ancient battlefield swinging an axe into somebody's face.

Buzan

I bet it was a good watch at a place lika IMAX, but I got stuck seeing it at a crummy Silver City ftl :(.