Canada in four words...

Started by grunkatze, December 29, 2008, 05:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grunkatze

MILK IN A BAG

Nasanna

You just drink it right out of the bag?!

American milk:

Tanc

actually nas, i preffer your kind of milk bottles, but unfortunately, they dont sell it like that in quebec, the only plastic bottle is half a gallon.

and FYI for all, we still use glass NORMALY, as you drink from the carton sometime... or do you

Arcdelad

skim milk?

thats the most disturbing part of it all....

JohnnieRat

2% milk is no longer covered by food stamps in New York in order to combat childhood obesity

Drygioni

I drink skim... its a pain in England where its all whole milk! its like drinking paint lol

grunkatze

Skim milk and 1% fat milk have the exact same taste, except the skim one is more like water =P

TheGeneral451

Fleecy

Well I got us down to 1% milk...but that is my limit... I can't drink skim... wth is the point if it tastes like water???   ???

Emmalina

I grew up on skim, and I love because it's less filling so I can drink more!

Set progress: D0/D1: 2/8, T1: 4/8, T2: 3/8, T3: 0/9, T4: 4/5, T5: 3/5, T6: 2/8, T7: 1/5, T8:4/5, T9: 3/5, T10: 0/5

Shadowwolf

Make sure you read the nutrition facts. A lot of times Skim has a ton more sugars in it as they throw in extra to make up for lack of fat to keep it tasteful. Thats right, fat = taste, hence why they wrap filet mignon with bacon most of the time when its cooked since it has no fat of its own.

I realized the sugar BS when I decided to read the labels on the containers one day and saw the skim had almost double that of 2%. Basically the tradeoff is, do you want more fat to burn of or do you want diabetes =(
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Lynette

Quote from: Shadowwolf on December 31, 2008, 11:51:34 PM
Make sure you read the nutrition facts. A lot of times Skim has a ton more sugars in it as they throw in extra to make up for lack of fat to keep it tasteful. Thats right, fat = taste, hence why they wrap filet mignon with bacon most of the time when its cooked since it has no fat of its own.

I realized the sugar BS when I decided to read the labels on the containers one day and saw the skim had almost double that of 2%. Basically the tradeoff is, do you want more fat to burn of or do you want diabetes =(

Shadow is right on the money.  Sugar is in nearly every food that has been processed, milk no exception. 

The sugar industry has incredible influence over the FDA (for instance, they fought and won to keep sugar at the top of the food pyramid when it was developed in the late 90s) and is the most likely cause of obesity rates climbing across the world.  This is the primary reason why full fat milk, yogurt, and cheese are healthier to consume than their low fat couterparts - they don't contain sugar.

Nasanna

On the other hand, you have to watch out for the "reduced fat" foods too. Since the fat makes things tasty, food companies compensate by adding extra salt since that's almost as delicious... take a look at the fat and sodium contents of say regular and reduced fat salad dressing sometime... no wonder they taste just as good.