Windows Vista....Arc...Im going to strangle you for suggesting it...

Started by Shadowwolf, February 14, 2007, 12:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowwolf

I decided hey, let me try this Windows Vista out even though I despise and loath everything Microsoft. Loaded it on my Laptop and good grief what a pain. I spent 4 hours writing my own video card driver because its not supported "as-is" for Vista. If I wanted to do that id have loaded BSD.

Its currently installing WoW, would be the first program on it (have to set priorities after all) and ill see how things fare from there. I do like Office 2007, though I could do without the flashy tool bars.

Oh yea, Vista reminds me of Mac OS X 10.4  ::) looks the same and feels the same
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Darkling

Mmmmm, Vista. I'll pass for now, thank you. I've heard too many horror stories already. Give it a year or so I think. Windows XP is fine for me still.

Arcdelad

<hits stealth>
<hits cower>
ahhh...cant shake her aggro!!! goss or uso - taunt her with some entemanns quick!

hehehe...sorry :) im a technology whore, and I like to try any softwarethat looks from the outset smooth, flashy, or new...

i downloaded internet explorer 7 beta a while back and it really bit me in the ass...i dont doubt that MS is thieving mac again...think back to windows 3.1 vs Mac OS...

so..uh...hey shadow, what do you think of linux?  ]:D

Shadowwolf

I have 2 partitions I use on my main machine, my primary lifeblood which runs a highly customized version of SuSE Linux and I use Crossover Office to run any Windows apps I need through it, VMWare for those that cant be run that way.

The second is a basic load of XP Pro thats been edited as well for my WoW and other games that arent Linux compatible. I made the mistake of running WoW in VMWare and I will never try that experiment again.

I figured id try Vista at your suggestion and also primarily because it supports 64bit processors finally without making one want to assassinate Bill Gates out of frustration like that Windows XP 64bit disaster did. We shall see how WoW runs on it, as that will be the true testament. Vista will probably never grace my main machine in any form outside of VMware. Laptop I can afford to wipe and start over, my main machine is the way I like it which has taken me a great many eons to achieve.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Muridin

fyi, your gonna want the top of the line gaming PC for Vista if your a gamer ... apparently vista sucks the living hell outta your RAM, Vid card, CPU time etc

Shadowwolf

Actually, things that use intense video resources seem to work way batter with Vista than XP. Also, Vista will rate your computer on a scale of 1-5, 5.0 being the highest overall and best for performance using the OS and my laptop got a 4.1 overall but each subcategory never fell below 4.1, most of the sub categories were above 5.0

Khanus

The video card thing does suck, but thats more of an NVIDIA/ATI thing not pushing vista drivers. I'm not getting Vista at this point, because 1. I cant Sync my HP Jornada because of ActiveSync not being supported, and 2. Vista has funky file management, that restricts a lot of thing on your own computer.

un4

I'll get it eventually, so I can get my Halo fix in without buying an Xbox.  'Till then, XP works fine.
un4

Muridin

*ears prick up* Halo? .... im so not gonna waste money on a 360 just for Halo 3 ....

Genoism

shadow i think this is a video u would enjoy
http://video.on.nytimes.com/ifr_main.jsp?nsid=b50b7eac3:110c6dce2bd:e87&st=1171569119703&mp=FLV&cpf=false&fvn=9&fr=012207_032411_7818ba6bx1104894f285x26a4&rdm=12709.118905406935

also i cannot possibly take the chance to install vista right now, i know the majority of my programs wont work - the adobe suite, after effects, maya, pro tools... ya its going to be a loooooong time before vista touches me.

un4

Quote from: Muridin on February 14, 2007, 09:55:29 PM
*ears prick up* Halo? .... im so not gonna waste money on a 360 just for Halo 3 ....
Yeah, I heard they're releasing Halo 2 on Vista.  Mmm, Halo.
un4

Shadowwolf

Kothnok

No matter how often you refill the gene pool, there's always a shallow end.

un4

-"Hi, I'm a PC."
"And I'm a Mac."
-"I'm sorry, did someone say something?  I could have sworn that I heard someone..."
[Objects in picture not to scale]
un4

Caedryne

I'll stick with Linux and XP for playing games. No way is Microsoft gonna make me shell out $ for basically a Windows Me upgrade.