New York City

Started by Nasanna, November 07, 2007, 08:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nasanna

I just found out that I'll be going on vacation to New York City for a week around Christmas with my family ;D I've never been there before and I was wondering if you guys knew of any fun or interesting things I should do while I'm there. Thanks for the ideas in advance!

Gutboy

Nah, NYC is totally boring, nothing happening there....   :pumpk2:

Seriously, a week won't be enough to do all the cool stuff. Let me get back to you with an ex-native's list.

GB

"Impossible odds, mentally unbalanced foes, cramped quarters for a good punch-up... and people say Iest has no night life."
-- Cerebus

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but by God, they frighten me."
-- The Duke of Wellington

Kothnok

I had a self guided, one day tour of NYC, with a few more hours to wander over the next 3.

Some highlights I liked:

• Empire State Building, the view is phenomenal and unique.
  • Twin Tower "hole" & small church nearby with memorials.  Moving, will never forget it.
  • Tour boat of the bay, taken off the pier next to the one leaving for Statue of Liberty.  Statue line takes too long and you get just as good a look from the tour boat that floats by, but doesn't stop.
  • Central Park walk thru at least part of it (east, central part has the Natural History museum).
  • Times Square (lots to see, shop, eat)
  • Rockafeller Center is good if you want to ice skate or just see what is on TV during the holidays a lot.
  • Lincoln Center was a pretty sight at night, but wished I could have had time for a show.
  • There's also one of the Concorde's parked on the west coast of the city, but I don't know where exactly (saw it from atop the Empire State Building).
  • Downtown at the Federal Bank you can make an appointment to see the gold stored there, but you must do so a week in advance (wish I knew before I went).

EDIT: don't know your transportation plans, but I found this subway map valuable since i was on foot:
http://www.nycsubway.org/maps/route.html
Tip: inside tracks are express and only stop at some stops, outside tracks stop at every stop
No matter how often you refill the gene pool, there's always a shallow end.

fiere redfern

Koth gave a great list, but I've got a few things to add:

- Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum on 42nd St. is the typical tourist trap, but there are some VERY realistic figures of celebrities and such in there =) Friends of mine who've been there are always posting pictures of themselves posing with John Travolta (circa Saturday Night Fever) or Denzel Washington.

- Couple of tips for finding your way around the Apple - Avenues run north/south, and Streets run east/west. Crossing from Ave. to Ave. takes longer than crossing from street to street, and numbering is interesting ^_^ Street numbers get higher the further north you go, and avenue numbers get lower the further east you go. Keep those things in mind and you should always know which direction you're facing. Just be careful when you pop out of the subway station to take your bearings. I -still- get turned around when I leave the underground, and I've been working there for years =P Also, something to keep in mind is that building numbering begins at 5th avenue, and is grouped in 100s. That means that 460 W. 52nd St. is four blocks west of 5th Ave on 52nd St, or between 9th and 10th Avenues. Keeping that in mind will help keep you from looking like the easy-target tourist who has to stop and ask directions every five minutes >.< Also, north is Uptown, south is Downtown =P

- The other thing is that what I just said is ONLY true for uptown/midtown. Downtown and Greenwich Village is another barrel of fish entirely - keep a map with you if you decide to visit the shops down there, and always always ALWAYS know what direction you've been heading.

- If you can get tickets to see a Broadway show, do it! They're an experience everyone should have, and a LOT of fun =) I don't know what's playing at the moment, but http://www.playbill.com can tell you what's on the Great White Way, what's touring the country, and who's in it ^_^

EDIT: Off-Broadway productions are nothing to sneeze at, either - STOMP! is a favorite of mine... if you've never heard of it, watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTahKhYgEb0 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu15Ou-jKM0 it's self-explanatory after that  :D

more EDIT: apparently they played on America's Got Talent, too... that was a cool performance, though the ADD camera angles made me nauseus watching them try and figure out which angle was best to show the group from. Oy.

- South Street Seaport is also great fun - the Intrepid's in drydock now, so you won't be able to board her, but there are other ships docked, and a couple heliopads if you have the monies to circle the island via helicoptor =P

- Oh, yeah... shopping! If you're looking for deals, head for the Village. Some of the independently-owned shops down there have VERY cheaply priced clothing of good quality. Uptown... notsomuch. Department stores reign supreme, and they're expensive t'boot. Though if you're up to window-shopping, take a stroll down 5th Ave as far south as you please =) Lots and LOTS of shops and banks and shops and banks and ... you get the idea.

- Food: restaurants are all OVER Manhatten. Check out the Zagat's dining guide if you can get your hands on one - it's -very- reliable and will help keep you in budget =) That said, may I suggest the Harrison (review: http://www.opentable.com/rest_profile.aspx?rid=1804 website: www.theharrison.com) It's expensive, but considering it's your first trip to NYC, it's definately worth it if you can get a reservation. The restaurant itself is small, so reservations around New Years'  and Christmas are difficult to come by, but it has some of the tastiest dishes I have ever eaten. Some slightly more exotic foods as well like quail and rabbit stew =)

That's all I have for now - enjoy yourself, it's an amazing city!

Drygioni

If you want to get any ink while in NYC, check out New York Hardcore Tattoos. Its in the Bowery. Jimmie and Vinnie are swell guys. Just don't make eye contact with anyone on your way there  :P

un4

un4

Jilinna

Quote from: un4given_one on November 08, 2007, 01:35:13 PM
Three words:

Broadway.  Broadway.  Broadway.
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/theater/broadway/index.html

Took the words right out of my mouth :P...I love broadway <3
and have a great Time in NYC should be funn  ;)
Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness and a gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and leads to all that is good, true and beautiful.
-PLATO

Muridin

i want to go to NYC now...damn you...

Gutboy

OK, here we go. I will add to this later, but here's a couple things before I forget:

• Delis - If you're not a vegetarian, you must go to either the Carnegie (www.carnegiedeli.com), Stage (www.stagedeli.com), or Katz's (www.katzdeli.com) Deli. Otherwise you might just as well stay home.  :pumpk3:

• Additional must-eat stops would be Zabar's (www.zabars.com) and H&H Bagels (www.handhbagel.com).

• Broadway - Check the TKTS (http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56) locations if you can, for discounted show tickets. And if you've never seen the Blue Man Group do a show, try to check them out off-Broadway (www.blueman.com/ticketinfo/nyc/).

• Learn the subway, beginning with Grand Central Terminal (www.grandcentralterminal.com), my favorite place in NYC. The basic facts are that the lines run mostly N - S within Manhattan, with the "green" lines 4,5,6 running up the east side while the "red" lines 1,9 run up the west side. To get between them, you take the 1-stop "S" train between GCT and Times Square. Buy a pass card at any station, good for the length of your stay.

• I sympathize with people getting disoriented on the street grid, happens to me too! One good guide is to look for the Empire State Building (33rd St.), which will be south/downtown of you most of the time. Or buy a little compass at REI and bring it along.  :pumpk5:

• Museums -  The big 3 are the American Natural History Museum (www.amnh.org) on Central Park West (not East, sorry Koth), Metropolitan Museum of Art (www.metmuseum.org) on Central Park East, and the Modern Art Museum (www.moma.org). Tip: The Met and I believe the Nat Hist have "suggested" admission (donation) only, meaning you can get in cheap. Don't worry, the rich folks are covering for you!

• Coffee - If you're in GCT and like coffee, find the Zaro's (www.zaros.com) bakery on the main level. My wife swears it's the best she's had. (I don't drink coffee, so I stick to the rugelach. Mmmm, rugelach...  :pumpk7:)
more later, I'm overcome with envy...  :pumpk3:

GB

"Impossible odds, mentally unbalanced foes, cramped quarters for a good punch-up... and people say Iest has no night life."
-- Cerebus

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but by God, they frighten me."
-- The Duke of Wellington

Ereeguar

IDK anything about NYC, but all i have to say is have fun O0

Kothnok

Quotethe American Natural History Museum (www.amnh.org) on Central Park West (not East, sorry Koth)
As I walked to the place (but didn't get to go inside) from the west bank of the isle where my hotel room was, it felt like I was east of the park.  Checking the map again, I'm not surprised I got that wrong as I remembered walking east past a park before getting to the museum, but what I remembered was the museum grounds, not Central Park itself.

QuoteAdditional must-eat stops would be Zabar's
My hotel was just down the street from this place.  I ate here frequently and purchased food for the mini-fridge I had as well (it's a compact kosher grocery store with deli next door).  I didn't realize it was famous until I purchased a touristy mini-map and found it located on there as a point of interest.  It definitely was good food. =)
No matter how often you refill the gene pool, there's always a shallow end.

fiere redfern

QuoteTo get between them, you take the 1-stop "S" train between GCT and Times Square. Buy a pass card at any station, good for the length of your stay.

Either take the "S" or the "7" - it's the same one-stop, but the "7" runs out into Queens as well =P That and my route to work every day took me past the 7 train so I'm biased  :P

Also! (don't know how I forgot about this..) MetroCard machines are most definately your friend. The station masters sell all but the 1-day fun pass cards, but you have to pay with cash =P You'll be able to buy 7-day fun passes from them or from the machines for around $24 each and then ride the subway all you like!

Nasanna

Thanks for all the tips guys! I've been to London (but not NYC, lol), so I've done subways before. I'm not sure where I'll be staying yet (trying to book through AAA for good deals) but it's nice to know there will be plenty of things to do!

I'll probably see something on Broadway, we just have to figure out something the whole family would agree on. I have seen STOMP (and another similar show) before and they were lots of fun.

The shopping and transportation tips and dining locations look awesome too... it's great to have the insiders' advice! I'll be sure to take lots of pictures for you guys.

Shadowwolf

I live here, so pointing out places to visit is a little hard for me. I see the stuff every day so its kinda eh now and im not sure whats worth a tourist visit.

I will provide you with some important NYC survival info and I can give you good places to eat.

Survival Info:

DO NOT rent a car.

DO NOT take the bus.

DO NOT ride the subway after dark as a tourist.

DO NOT wait for cross walk signs to change to cross the street. If you do, you will be spotted as a tourist and thats not good. Just cross, we all do, just watch for the nut job Taxi drivers, they dont slow down for people =P

When hailing a cab, be forceful. People are jerks when its the early or late part of the day as they want a cab as bad as you do.

When taking a cab, try to know roughly how to get somewhere before you go. The reason is, if the cabby thinks you are a tourist, they will take the long way or just milk the fare and screw you.

Try to avoid asking for help on the street if you get lost. Chances are people wont stop to help you or give directions, they just keep going.

Try to get a layout for the bad sections of the city and plan routes around them if going places. If you end up in a seedy section, keep walking, dont panic, dont speed walk, just walk like you are oblivious to everything around you.

If approached by a pan handler, dont freak out, curse them out, or shoo them off, play it cool, joke around about needing money as badly and keep moving, dont stop. If you get nasty with them, they get nasty back.

BLEND IN. You need to try to blend in as best as you can to enjoy yourself more. The more you stand out, the more likely you will get suckered in by some con artist on the street corner. This leads me to my next tip...

Rolex's and Gucci bags dont come from a guy on a street corner =)

Sample the food. You wont find any better place to take a sample of every cuisine imaginable than in NYC and most places are good. Dont go to the flashy ones and try to avoid asking the Concierge for suggestions, most hotels have deals with local places to refer customers. Talk to local people in coffee shops, etc for suggestions. Your best asset is us locals =)
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Zario

I just bought my tickets to NYC too!  Heading out from Dec 7th-10th.  The wife and I always return around Christmas so we can go to Rockefeller and watch the ice skaters for hours. 

My fav hotel to stay is On the Ave.  It's on the UWS near Zabar's that everyone has been mentioning and it's very near the 1, 9 subway line that runs N-S on the West Side.  West Side definitely has a great feel to it that I miss.  Rates might hurt considering it's around Christmas

If you're in to architecture & history, make sure you don't miss Morningside Heights around 110th-120th and Broadway.  You can hit up Columbia University, St. John's Cathedral (PHENOMENAL), Riverside Church, Grant's Tomb.  My old stomping grounds... :'( 

THE IMPORTANT PART.  PIZZA!!  Don't miss Lombardi's for the world.  It's on Spring and Mott on the north end of little Italy.  It's arguably the first pizza parlor in America.  Another fav of mine is Patsy's.  I linked their website because the have multiple locations.  http://www.patsyspizzeriany.com/locations.htm

Circle line boat cruises of the harbor are definitely awesome but prob too cold.  It's hard to go wrong with the double decker bus tour.  http://www.coachusa.com/newyorksightseeing/

Central Park is great, even in the winter.  I think the walk from 72nd Street & Central Park West, through Strawberry Fields, past the band shell and over to 5th Ave is probably the best bang for your buck if you're short on time.  I do strongly agree that you HAVE to walk through at least part of the park. 

I could go on forever.  Enjoy your trip!  Don't rush it and cram too much in.  Just enjoy what you can see and plan to visit again another day.