Main Menu

Longfellow

Started by Arcdelad, September 13, 2006, 04:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcdelad

Okay...I love Twilight....no doubt.....

BUT...every time I load up this website and I see longfellow's poetry up top it drives me crazy :) First of all, Longfellow, while historically popular among scholors, has been slowly ebbing out of the syllabi of college English classes...why you ask? Becuase he is yesteryear's equivalent to VC Andrews or John Grisham or [insert popular modern writer of crap here]. That guy is the Britney Spears of English poetry, the Smash Mouth of American victorianism spouting poppy poetry that has little substantive value.

If you want to stick with American poetry Walt Whitman will never steer you wrong, Emily Dickenson will depress you to point of locking yourself in a garage and leaving the car running, or Thoreua or Emerson can give you a nice philosophical yet amazingly poetic insight into philosphy. Hell, forget American poets altogether and go with Keats or Browning, or Milton, or or or...

But for the love of all that is holy.........Longfellow?

Is this the rant posting area? man I hope so :)

Jandris

I believe that poem is there for the reference to twilight - of course the old Platter's song could always be pulled out instead - "Twilight Time". (Heavenly shades of night are falling, it's twilight time ...) Everyone together now .... What the **** is she talking about ?????

Shadowwolf

Like i told ya before, find me another that references Twilight or something along the lines of and it can change. =)
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

un4

Louis Untermeyer, "The Wine of Night."

(www.twilightclan.com)
un4

Caedryne

I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything but does it really matter who it's by, as long as it expresses a thought, idea or perhaps what Twilight is...I really like it, it reminds me of life, death, fragility, things lost that cannot ever be replaced and reminds me of my sons

Arcdelad

its ALWAYS good to be argumentative about poetry and art in general :)

Kothnok

We could just make one up for ourselves too.

As the day invites many of the bright stars to come out and play before it has to move on, twilight holds a dance of colorful sky for the earth before it covers itself with the blanket of night and goes to sleep.
No matter how often you refill the gene pool, there's always a shallow end.

Tolwen

and Tolwen comes back from school when Twilight is asleep and logz in cuz of stupid timezone!

no seriously nice poem Koth:)

Shadowwolf

Hehe Tol

I kind of wanted to stay away from copying the stuff from the other Twilight only to signify starting anew and keeping us somewhat seperate but still connected.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Kothnok

eh? copy? I made that up for the post by just throwing random twilight-ish words down until I made a sentence that wasn't total nonsense. lol, I guess it's already been done before, and my random words were really just picked from my subconscious or something.
No matter how often you refill the gene pool, there's always a shallow end.

Shadowwolf

Oh, no no, haha, that reply was meant about taking whats on twilightclan.com.

un4

That's the Untermeyer, for those who don't frequent twilightclan.com

This is the Gloaming.
un4

Caedryne

That was good Koth :) but I still like the other one:

Rose are red
Violets are blue
It's twilight now
Where are you?

by
Henry Gibson