Lightwell FAQ

Started by Emmalina, October 15, 2008, 01:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emmalina

WTF is that?
That's me, oh, er, that's a Lightwell, it's the priest 31 point Holy talent.

What does it do?
If you right click it, you instantly receive a 6 second HoT. The Hot ticks every 2 seconds, so you get 3 ticks. It is only available to the party/raid members of the priest who cast it. It lasts 10 charges, or 3 minutes.

Is it new? Why haven't I seen it before?
It's been around for a while. Holy Nova used to be the priest 31 point Holy talent before getting replaced by Lightwell. Unfortunately Lightwell was bad. Super bad. First, it was channeled, so anyone who wanted to use it was basically out of commission for 6 seconds, plus the time to get to the Lightwell and get back. DPS didn't like this because getting to the Lightwell, channeling, and getting back hindered their DPS too much.

Also, because it was channeled, it would break on damage. Any damage. So not only would you have to run over and channel it, but any incidental damage would break the channel, you'd receive no healing, and one of the charges of the Lightwell would be used. And even better, if you clicked it while channeling, you would use another charge. Essentially you could burn through all the charges without getting any healing. Bad news.

What's changed?
Lightwell is no longer channeled. You click it, you receive a HoT, you leave. Done. When you click it, you'll get a buff called Lightwell Renew that looks like this:

Also, it no longer breaks on all damage. If you get hit for 30% of your total health, you'll lose the HoT, but anything less than 30% and you'll still get the heals.
And the charge problem has been solved as well. Once you receive the buff, if you click it again while you have the buff nothing happens. You will not waste another charge. You can only use a charge if you don't currently have the HoT.

Still seems tricky. Why should I worry about clicking something to heal myself if you're just going to heal me anyway?
Fair point. For Lightwell to be a useful tool, I have to use it well. If I drop it across the room, no one is going to take the time to run over there. However, say I drop it behind a boss, where we have 10 melee DPS hacking away. Then if someone takes damage, they click it, get healed, and never even have to move. Basically I (or any other priest who has it) needs to use it properly, but, when used properly, it's awesome. Here's why:

With no party or raid buffs, the HoT currently ticks for 1400HP. Three ticks of that puts it at 4200 healing. It's got 10 charges. So if it is used 10 times, it will do 42000 healing. It costs me 450 mana. Read, about 100 HPM. That's insane. By far the most mana efficient heal in the game when used properly.

What's the point of all this?
I just want people to know the ins and outs of Lightwell, when to use it and when not to. If you're taking tons of damage constantly, ignore it because the HoT will break anyway. If it's a mile away, ignore it, someone's going to heal you before you get there. If it's sitting next to you and you take some damage, consider it an instant super bandage. Use it.

Maybe it sounds all complicated, it's not. Use it once, and you'll have it completely figured out.

Set progress: D0/D1: 2/8, T1: 4/8, T2: 3/8, T3: 0/9, T4: 4/5, T5: 3/5, T6: 2/8, T7: 1/5, T8:4/5, T9: 3/5, T10: 0/5