It's time for a new desktop

Started by vakiller, February 09, 2009, 06:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vakiller

After 2 or 3 years my trusty desktop has decided to give up on me , so I'm in the market for a new one. I use my computer for 3 things  music , writing papers and WOW. I currently have around 1,000 that I would be willing to put twords a new computer. I am by no means computer savvy and I was hoping some of you who are could help me decide on a new computer. (I have a laptop I can use so I can wait a few weeks if things need to be ordered)

Shadowwolf

Check your local computer stores. A lot of mom and pop computer stores can and do build good gaming rigs for about $1000 bucks if you cant assemble one yourself. Im not sure where you live so I cant give you exacts on stores near you to check on.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Tony

I have always trusted www.newegg.com to dish out some sweet deals on great pre-build gaming pc's. Here is a link with some prebuilt gaming computers for around 1k. Let me know if you need any help, computers are what I do. I would be more than happy to lend a hand.

vakiller

Alright. Id like to start off first by saying thank you guys for your help! Ive compared all the computers around my price range and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227123 seems to be the best for what i like to do, but there are a few issues I'm worried about.

The first of these issues being that its not a genuine version of vista....(whats that mean exactly)

The second of my issues is i am not familiar with ibuypower computers and was wondering if they are a reliable company.

Shadowwolf

Where do you see it not being genuine?

They cant legally sell it with Vista if its not a genuine licensed copy. Says it comes with Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit which is fine. I hate Vista, but sadly its the way things are moving as MS doesnt support XP anymore.

As far as the brand:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7586_102-0.html?forumID=68&threadID=116362&messageID=1322232

Ive never bought one, I build my own so I have no clue. With offname brand machines though, typically you just need to look at the parts within. Most of them use brand name parts and thats all that really matters. You can likely find an exact parts list for each model on their site here: http://www.ibuypower.com

From first glance, they seem to use Asus parts mostly, which is good stuff. I wouldnt be too worried about whether or not youre getting quality stuff or not. The issues id be more looking at is:

1) Will it work right when i get it?
2) If not, what kind of support can I expect and what kind of future support if things break can i expect?
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess