BigWigs vs Deadly Boss Mods (DBM)...Why we use BigWigs

Started by Shadowwolf, March 28, 2008, 03:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowwolf

So, tonight in Gruul, I saw some new people who are using Deadly Boss Mods instead of BigWigs.

While we dont force addons down peoples throats, we do set a standard of addons that are highly recommended so that everyone is on the same sheet of music as it were.

The reason for this is a lot of the addons that are raid related we use have been tried and tested by most of us for some time, and keeping a set "standard" makes things a little easier on the support side when someone has a question about them. We have to maintain a standard on these types of addons to insure there is accuracy. For a list of these addons, please see the following thread: http://forum.twilightonalex.com/index.php?topic=2997.0

In addition to that, in the case of BigWigs, the more people using it, the more accurate the warnings, alerts and information. As with most Ace addons, the information is shared with other users of the addon, so its information becomes much more accurate.

The reasons we chose BigWigs over Deadly Boss Mods as a guild standard was for the following reasons:

• BigWigs is updated more frequently
  • BigWigs uses less game/system memory as it loads all instance warnings and alerts as separate load on demand "modules" that can be turned off when not needed. It doesnt have useless additions like "Pizza Timers" and such hogging resources slowing your game down.
  • BigWigs interfaces and works with many other more popular Ace addons like oRA2, SCT, Decursive, etc.

Now this isnt to say if you use DBM that you should stop. If you prefer it, thats fine. Ive seen many posts suggesting that both compliment one another and can be used together without hassle.

Quote from: Chelsea link=http://wowmb.net/forums/showthread.php?p=175238
Using both addons is actually quite nice. A guildy suggested this set up, and it rocks.

Go into Deadly Boss Mods options, and select Bars 1. Uncheck bars to disable these.

So now you get the more visible Big Wigs bars on your screen, position them as you like. You retain the DBM warnings such as run away you have the bomb. You get the whisper back feature from DBM too.

The two mods compliment each other well.

So please, all I am asking is that you at least install the basic version of BigWigs so that we have more accurate data being displayed for everyone as it makes these boss encounters so much easier on us all in the long run.

I wouldnt ask anyone to put things on their machine that I dont use myself. I test all these addons myself and if there is problems I have some ties to many of the developers to find a resolve or a workaround and if they cant give one, myself or Koth can usually come up with a quick-fix if its an emergency as well.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess