I hate Western Digital

Started by Shadowwolf, September 01, 2010, 11:20:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowwolf

Just a techno rant about WD products....

I HATE HATE HATE Western Digital drives. For the last 10 years when I purchased Hard Drives for either work, clients, or personal use I have always had issues with Western Digital drives failing. For some reason these damn drives are prone to MBR failures, corruption, motor failures, lockups, you name it, they do it. Performance wise I cant tell if its even worthwhile to keep buying because they never last long enough or work properly to compare performance.

Last night I spent 8 hours reloading and recovering my drive because the power outage (which I have an UPS and the machine gracefully shut down) was a catalyst to kill my main drive (which sadly was a WD). I have no idea why, the drive just decided it had enough and the MBR corrupted on me and nothing would load nor would it be recognized as a readable drive on any system. Hours of recovery later I got everything to work again, but I dont trust this thing as a paperweight anymore let alone a hard drive and have since swapped over to my new Seagate Barracuda 2TB drive.

I dont understand how a company whos been making drives for so long can churn out such crap and still stay in business. NONE of the WD drives I have purchased in the last 10 years still work, absolutely none at all, but every single Seagate drive I have owned for the last 15 years does (yes I save all my drives because im skeptical when migrating to a new system then I forget to dispose of the old drive).

Originally I thought the drive was 3+ years old and since I run my machine 24/7 and never turn it off unless of a massive power failure, I figured "okay, it lasted a decent amount of time" even though comparatively all my Seagates have lasted much longer under the same conditions. As it turns out, the drive is a little under 2yrs old which is pretty damn sad.

8 hours of my life sucked dry because of crappy products from Western Digital of which I will now never buy again. They may be slightly cheaper than their competitors but now I see why, you get what you pay for.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Gutboy

Heh, well I just put WD drives in my new Mac, but I did set up a RAID 1 for insurance....  ;)

(along with regular backup of course.)

GB

"Impossible odds, mentally unbalanced foes, cramped quarters for a good punch-up... and people say Iest has no night life."
-- Cerebus

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but by God, they frighten me."
-- The Duke of Wellington