Main Tanks

Started by DarkBlade, August 21, 2006, 09:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkBlade

dharq

Honestly for tanking purposes, I prefer a build like:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/warrior/talents.html?0500500100000000005050302000000000050050003530200200

I find it gives a warrior plenty of agg control, dmg reduction, and I find cleave gives me a lot better aggro for my 20 rage (and it's AOE to boot!) than a shield slam. Granted, I haven't gone this route with Darq yet as I'm doing the DPS warrior thing, but this talent build seems to give me the most bang for my buck.

DarkBlade

Eh, that works too. You just wont live long thats all. So really you want a tank who can live longer. The better the gear the more aggro they make. I have a 60 warrior and im the OT in my guild. I'm arms/fury now tho so w/e.

dharq

sorry, but i don't get how you'll live longer with the first build...

iron will?  meh. helps you keep aggro marginally, but there's still a significant chance you get stunned/charmed even with it.

improved shield wall? again meh. helps once every 30 mins and gives you an extra 5 seconds of near invincibility. not saying it isn't useful, but it's too situational to make a huge diff.

improved shield block is good, but only works from the front, and at best blocks 2 extra attacks. you can always spam the ability to get nearly the same effect. of all the diffs though, this is the one that's biggest.

concussion blow? gives 5 seconds of freedom against trash, does very little against bosses. not a biggie imo.

shield slam? gives a decent attack and a purge effect, but does nothing for survivability. and i'll hold agg better with cleave anyway.

I'm not saying your build is bad, just saying extra survivability isn't the big selling point with it. It's got more cc with concussion blow and a high dmg/high threat attack with shield slam. other than that, it's pretty much exactly the same, just with less flexibility (missing stance dance/tactical mastery), and lower AOE dmg (which translates into more aggro against multiple mobs). And blood craze offsets the extra shield block imo. it's a minor health regen, but it's enough to offset a lost block.