Beware - Battle net scam

Started by Lynette, December 11, 2010, 11:29:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynette

Last night, I received a whisper from an official looking username (something like "Blizzjames") telling me I had violated one of Blizzard's EULA code and I needed to verify my Battle net information or my account would be suspended.  I immediately suspected fraud, so I ignored it.  The url they gave me looked official enough, as did their web site (which was an EXACT duplicate of Blizzard's Battle Net login screen). 

Please be advised these scams are most likely very active right now, with tons of new players flooding the game.  DON'T be a victim & DON'T give out your battle net information.

Emmalina

I've received quite a few emails in the last few weeks that are also pretty impressive replicas of Blizz emails with links to sites that are pretty spot on, so definitely keep your eyes peeled for these scams. Granted, I don't think any hacker has payed to reactivate my account in order to hack it, but the phishing has certainly stepped up a notch.

Hope everyone is enjoying Cata!

Set progress: D0/D1: 2/8, T1: 4/8, T2: 3/8, T3: 0/9, T4: 4/5, T5: 3/5, T6: 2/8, T7: 1/5, T8:4/5, T9: 3/5, T10: 0/5

dharq

Quote from: Lynette on December 11, 2010, 11:29:57 AM
Last night, I received a whisper from an official looking username (something like "Blizzjames") telling me I had violated one of Blizzard's EULA code and I needed to verify my Battle net information or my account would be suspended.  I immediately suspected fraud, so I ignored it.  The url they gave me looked official enough, as did their web site (which was an EXACT duplicate of Blizzard's Battle Net login screen). 

Please be advised these scams are most likely very active right now, with tons of new players flooding the game.  DON'T be a victim & DON'T give out your battle net information.

Um, Lyn, I'm sure you know this, but I'd run some serious scans on your PC if you viewed their site on the same PC you use to play.