rogues <3 hunters

Started by usonian, January 22, 2007, 08:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usonian

Well not really, but now that I have your attention... I have some things to vent about hunters in pvp and I want some honest answers ;)  I have a rogue on a pvp server that is basically just my little killing machine project and there are a few issues with hunters that frustrate me more than anything:

-Are pets supposed to be able to see through stealth and vanish?  Quite a few times now, I have stealthed or vanished while running from a hunter (no hunter's mark, no poison, no dot's) and from 50 yards away the pet still chases me down and breaks stealth.  Doesn't this defeat the purpose of going into stealth to escape?

-It honestly can't be within the rules when a hunter I am chasing down can do the kneeling-gumby slide, put a trap down without breaking stride and freeze me for 8 seconds.  If it takes a few seconds to set a trap standing still, how can you do it while running away from me at top speed?

-Speaking of traps, as much as it sucks getting caught in one, I can accept what they are.  What I don't get is the range that they have.  Being a rogue I get to detect them, but many times I still get caught when I feel I'm well out of their range.  Can a trap really catch something that is 5 yards away from it?

hmmm blah blah blah concussive shot, yadda yadda yadda, serpent sting... that's all I have now :)

...and btw, I saw all the heart icons and I think I'm going to be sick (no offense to our great webmasters ]:D)

Darkling

Issue #1: If the hunter has track hidden on, he will find you. If he sees you before stealt, his pet still sees you afterwards. Vanish is broken. Blizz won't acknowledge this though.

Issue #2: It is and can be done.  Tactic to get around that trap, run around it when you see him set it. Remember, a hunter can only have one track ability up. More than likely, find hidden is not up when he is running from you. Another thing, in pvp, crippling poison at all times on main hand weapon, he can't run too fast then.

Issue #3: All traps will get you if you don't do anything about them. If you can, disarm the trap. If you can't, go around it with a wide circle. More often than not, it's another player triggering the trap and not you. Btw, you remain stealthed now when frost traps go off. The hunter will pop a flare to see you though if he see the trap go off with no one around. If he is close enough, throw a blind on him and sprint away, or kill him if you are confident in your abilities. Sprint away is the best option as you can leave combat restealth and move on to a better target.

Hunters are a rogues worst opponent due to flares, traps, track hidden, ranged, etc. But they can be taken down so long as you keep your cool.

usonian

Thanks for the advice TB.  Unfortunately I've been hanging at lvl 29 since TBC came out so I don't have disarm traps or blind yet - those will definitely help in the future.  I do try to run around traps when I see them, which is why I'm still frustrated when they go off, guess I still haven't dialed in the trigger radius yet.  As for traps on the run, normally I'm about 3 steps behind them and closing with my speed enchant so by the time I see the trap go down I'm on top of it - either that or we're in the "circle of death" and the trap goes down so it gets me right away.

I still don't like the fact a pet can keep chasing me after I stealth/vanish, that is the worst feeling especially after wasting a vanish/flash powder.

At the moment I'm using a 1h sword in my main hand (wingblade) and a dagger (meteor shard) in my off hand.  I use macros to switch my main for a dagger when I use AB/BS.  I've been putting crippling on the OH dagger since it's faster and instant poison II on the main hand to add damage on SS.  Would you suggest I switch my poisons?

Tyban

I hate to tell u this Uso but if a hunter does the kneel-gumby slide he's at least giving u a warning.  U can set down a trap while running without breaking stride.  Not sure if they changed this since the patch but as soon as u drop the trap, u do a quick left right turn and the animation for putting down the trap is stopped.  It just looks like a little course adjustment with a little shimmy or stutter step while running rather then a gumby slide as u put it. 

I think you're also confusing the trap setting and the animation that follows when setting the trap.  Even when stationary, the trap is set has soon as u hit the button.  It just takes longer for the trap to appear and animation to start and finish. 

un4

Improved sprint will allow you to break movement-affecting effects.  Goodbye pet daze, goodbye frost trap!
un4