Dear Chinese Hackers who attempted the DDoS...

Started by Shadowwolf, February 04, 2010, 05:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowwolf

I Win. Go back to bothering Google.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Tony

I feel safe and somewhat scared shitless now....

Did they use the "Tracer Tee" technique I have been hearing so much about?

dharq

First Google.. now the guild website....

Yet more confirmation that Shadow's a top secret Google AI App.

TheGeneral451

Darkstar

Trismus

Most people think Marv is crazy. He just had the rotten luck of being born in the wrong century. He'd be right at home on some ancient battlefield swinging an axe into somebody's face.

Shadowwolf

Yesterday evening there was some "Too many database connections" errors on the forum and various other apps of the site, and I narrowed it down to some IP's traced back to China that were basically trying a very primitive DDoS attack on the site by requesting the same download file over and over again multiple times a minute. Since the file was a large one (the patch from Tues), the server had to take a few extra seconds to parse the info (its complicated on how the DL system works) and so it was bugging out. I thought maybe it was just a bugged download, so I made some server adjustments, and the problem persisted, so eventually I found the logs and saw what was going on and shut the pains in the asses down.

Basically I just blocked access from all the China Telecom subnets the attacks were originating from to the main site. It was a bit of overkill maybe, cause I blocked a total of 20 subnets, but I didnt feel like playing cat and mouse with morons. So if/when the Chinese people cant access our main page, they can blame those idiots for it. I dont think they play WoW in China anyhow, and even if they do, no one here is from China so I dont care, heh.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Goz

Zario

Lol, Shadow rules...china drools.

You bet they played Warcraft in China.  I made a hefty sum off of The9 (NASDAQ:NCTY) when they had the rights to distribute/operate WoW in China.  Their subscription structure is very different there.  Anyway, it was pretty easy to see the writing on the wall.  NCTY sold a stake to EA, Blizz of course wasn't going to like it, and didn't renew.  Stock dropped like a rock.  Now Blizz is having hard times with the company they signed to operate in The9's place.