Good Rogue Glyphs- PVE/PVP

Started by Belandand, October 16, 2008, 06:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belandand

Hey just wanted to get some feedback as to what glyphs you guys are gonna go after. Yesterday, I got the SS glyph from Sun and I bought the SnD glyph from the AH. I figure these will hold until I can get the BF and AR glyphs.

Very interested in hearing input for PVE and/or PVP glyphs :)

usonian

This is what I'm thinking for my rogue PVE / PVP glyph selection, listed in order of importance under each category and with more emphasis on Arenas for PVP:

PVE
Combat Raiding Spec
1. Sinister Strike - SS crits have a 40% chance to add an additional combo point.
2. Slice and Dice - Increases the duration of SnD by 3 sec.
3. Adrenaline Rush - Decreases the cooldown of AR by 60 sec.

Sinister Strike and Slice and Dice are the two big winners here for obvious reasons.  SS is our main damage attack so increasing the chance to get CP with that is a no-brainer and SnD helps keep those white hits maxxed out which account for more than 50% of our raiding damage.

The third slot is a tough one to fill and the other glyphs I would consider are Blade Flurry (decreases energy cost by 100%) and Rupture (increases duration by 5 sec).  I chose AR because it think it would have the biggest impact in a raid environment being able to use AR every 4 minutes instead of 5.  I know BF is used more often (every 3 min) but energy regen is so good in the Combat tree that I can part with 35 energy every 3 minutes without a major decrease in performance.  Rupture damage has definitely been buffed thanks to Blood Spatter, but I rarely see Rupture run it's full course without the mob dying unless it's a boss so an extra 5 seconds for only bosses doesn't seem better than having AR available more often for trash. 

Also consider the fact that a 4 minute cooldown on AR means you have a better chance of using it three times on a single boss encounter.  Thanks to Tricks of the Trade, we can blow AR right away and funnel all that extra threat to the tank without worrying about getting smashed - that means we can use it three times if the boss fight is 8 minutes long (AR - 4 min - AR - 4 min - AR) as opposed to needing a minimum 10 minute encounter with a 5 minute cooldown to get 3 uses of AR.

PVP
Shadowstep Spec
1. Hemorrhage - Increases damage bounus against hemorrhaged targets by 40%.
2. Crippling Poison - Increases chance to trigger crippling poison by 10%
3. Garrote - Reduces duration by 3 sec and increases damage by 20%

If you go Shadowstep you're going to have hemo, so you might as well increase the damage bonus that it provides.  Shadowstep builds will also be lacking any poison application talents so having a higher chance to apply crippling poison will help us keep those targets locked down.

I chose Garrote as my third because I use it a lot as my opener in arenas.  Most people won't sit through an entire opening Cheap Shot anyway so I prefer opening with something that will keep damage on them even if they get away.  This glyph is nice not only becuase it does more damage (also complimented by Blood Spatter) but it does it FASTER which is great for arenas when you're trying to burn a target down.  Also, this is THE opener to use on mages because of the 3 second silence and from what I hear, frost Mages are supposed to be WTFPWNING all over the place now...  Good thing my 2's partner is a frost Mage:)

PVP
Mutilate Spec
1. Expose Armor - Increases duration of EA by 10 sec.
2. Garrote - Reduces duration by 3 sec and increases damage by 20%
3. Deadly Throw - Increases range of DT by 5 yards..

This spec was a little more difficult to decide for but most of the decisions I made were to make up for the lack of mobility in the spec and in PVP, mobility is huge for Rogues.  The extended duration on EA will be nice for making better use of your combo points and for keeping it up while you chase people around.  Mutilate gets a lot of damage from fewer, big number hits and EA helps maximize that damage.  I still think Garrote is the best opener for Mages, and you're going to see a lot of them now so you'll be using it more often.  You also may not have the talent to reduce the Cloak of Shadows cooldown with mutilate, so caster might be a pain.  Which lead me to Deadly Throw for keeping those Mages locked down at a greater distance. 

I'm generally not concerned with melee targets so I chose these glyphs to help with the casters of course with a more of my focus being on arena play.  There are some other cooldown related glyphs that might help for world pvp like AR or Sprint, but I find my cooldowns to be much less effective in those situations.

Minor Glyphs
1. Vanish - Increases movement speed by 30% while vanish is active.
2. Distract - Increases range of distract by 5 yards.
3. Pick Lock - Reduces cast time of pick lock by 75%.

I'm pretty sure I'll be using these minor glyphs in all my builds.  The one for Vanish is perhaps the most useful at least in PVP when you're obviously trying to get out of a sticky situation.  Distract is nice for stopping that fleeing horde who decided to mount up and run away or for staying safe in PVE when you need to distract a group for a sap and your stealth is weak.  The Pick Lock is the least functional of the three for playing but I'm so impatient waiting for things to unlock that it's the one I would pick:)  Blurred Speed might be fun to try though.

un4

Pssh, sprinting across water is where it's at.

I'm in love with the SnD and SS glyphs, c/o Panz.  I'm looking forwards to being able to drop the ADR one into the mix.

For PvP, I'd be more inclined to use the BS glyph, unless I was mutilate.
un4

Belandand

They are planning on increase the SS glyph percentage from 40 to 50% in an upcoming patch.

Trismus

The sprint over water glyph is $$$... saved my butt in ab several times.

-Tris
Most people think Marv is crazy. He just had the rotten luck of being born in the wrong century. He'd be right at home on some ancient battlefield swinging an axe into somebody's face.