Hunter Spreadsheet

Started by Airplay, October 28, 2007, 05:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Air

I've been using this spreadsheet for a little while now.  It allows for a hunter to input there gear and figure out what there theoretical dps is.  This spreadsheet is used by ALOT of raiding hunter's right now, it's that good.

These two links are where to get the current version, excel version is kept upto date, while the open office version is usually a version behind.
http://www.havoc-guild.us/Cheeky/Hunter_DPS_Calc.xls for Excel
http://www.havoc-guild.us/Cheeky/Hunter_DPS_Calc_OO.xls for Open Office

The macros for the open office version don't seem to work.

Use these two thread to help figure out howto use the spreadsheet.
http://elitistjerks.com/f31/t9816-hunter_spreadsheets_development/
http://forums.tkasomething.com/showthread.php?t=8616

It lets me figure out exactly if an Item is a boost to my dps or not.  Also gives a good idea on a good shot rotation based your spec.

Also does talent spec and even pet dps.  This is where I found out that a beast mastery build is an extra 100 dps more than my current marks build.  Also that my ravager is about 10-15 dps more than a cat.

Even allows for various buffs, depending on what you want figured out.  For example, what my theoretical dps on gruul might be.  With all the Pali, druid, mage buffs my dps is at 1196 total.  Add in Faerie Fire, thats another 44 dps, or 1240 dps,  Then add in curse of recklessness, thats another 64 dps, or about 1316 theoretical dps against a mob of a total 7700 armor.  After those debuffs, along with sunder armor would remove 4400 armor.

"Don't be a Dick." - Wil Wheaton
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." - Will Rogers

Zario

That spreadsheet rocks!  Thanks for posting. 

I happened across the discovery that my beast spec out dps'd any of my other previous spec's when I unknowingly topped the DPS chart last Gruul's. 

Long live beast spec + owl.  My most sincere apologies to melee and tanks for the owl's screech.  If you'd like, I can mail you some foam earplugs  :P

Arcdelad

hahaha...honestly, I was on vent with uso, nix, and moon, and we were all like "god damn, shut that f***ing bird up" LOL

but...numbers dont lie (except damage meter numbers)...if it works for you then I can (grudgingly) put up with the noise...you sure a nice panther or warpstalker wouldnt be as good? :P

Air

Play around with different pets and builds, you might just be surprised.

Things that I learned from it.  For my gear, Beast mastery is an extra 100 dps.  That ravagers are 10-15 dps more than a cat.  And that changing the rotation for pet abilities, actually increases dps.  I go with Bite, then Gore now, and it increased by quite a bit.  Also playing around with the shot rotation and quick shots will increase dps by quite a bit.

Also, as you get better geared in Kara and Gruul's.  The dps increase between Marks and BM actually increases, Since BM scales better than Marks.

For gems I usually use +8 agi or +4 and +6 stamina for red gems, +8 crit or +8 hit or +4 hit and +4 agi for yellow, and +4 agi and +6 stamina for blue gems.  Agility scales better than pure attack power and pure crit rating.  This is for any hunter spec.

For hit rating it's been proven that 142 hit rating (9%) is needed to completely remove any misses.  You can get by with 136 hit rating (8.5%)

For beast mastery Id recommend this build, http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=cebM0xxRiumoVVbRV, This is the build Id go with If I ever respec to BM.  This is pretty much the cookie cutter build that most raiding BM hunters use.

Improved Revive pet is better than Improved Mend pet.  Mend pet will never heal enough for a raid situation.  Your pet is going to die, so reviving it as fast as possible is better.

For pets, Ravagers, Cats, Raptors, And Wind Serpents are the highest dps, in the that order.

Wind Serpents are a pain the butt to use because of Lightning Breath.  To best use LB, autocast needs to be turned off, and used inside a macro.  Problem with it is that the Wind Serpent will move in and out of melee range of the mob to cast LB, which causes a loss in dps.
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." - Will Rogers

Zario

I did lvl up that red/black/yellow spider, but the CD on it's attacks tend to lower dps.  Maybe I'll try a scorpid.  Oh well, I'll run a few things through this spreadsheet tonight to see if I can find a better option. 

I picked up that owl in Nagrand from that trampoline/birds nest quest and I've loved it ever since. 

Also, I've named my spider Waffles as a tribute to Geno. 

Air

Don't bother with a scorpid anymore.  Blizzard nerfed scorpid poison so that it no longer scales with attack power.  There pretty bad for dps now.