Weird network issue

Started by Lord Entropy, August 27, 2012, 12:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Entropy

Hey all,

For a bit over a day now I've had some network problems.  Latency is all over the map, but generally much higher than usual.  On wow yesterday it was over 6000. The strange thing, though, is that my download bandwidth is in the toilet - about .5Mbps but my upload bandwidth is just fine - 5Mbps (based on speedtests from a number of different sites and locations).  I have "premium" internet service through Brighthouse which guarantees download bandwidth of 20-40Mbps.

At first I thought it was something to do with the internet in the region here (florida), but it doesn't look like that's the case.  I called brighthouse and they are sending a technician out tomorrow morning - the CS rep said they didn't see any issues with the ping test they can do.  Not surprising really - I tested ping to the brighthouse servers and it's fine, but the bandwidth still sucks.

Anyway, I've never seen this issue before and thought some of the brains here might have some suggestions.  I've done the usual stuff of shutting down all my equipment, etc.

Thanks!

-Andy

Avelandra

Problem could be upstream from Brighthouse. A down Fiber line or something between 2 nodes and the re-route is jammed as well. That would effect one direction but not necessarily the other.

I once had an issue where I couldn't login to the Server or Vent, it turned out the link to the city on verizon's network was down. Took the guy on the phone an hour to find that out from the higher support.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" - Possum Lodge Motto
I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together.