Install Patch

Started by Nixphire, October 14, 2008, 07:43:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nixphire

So... I downloaded the patch and when it goes to install it it says it should move the World of Warcraft installation to a public folder.
Did some searching and haven't found any kind of blue post about this. Any one else have any ideas.
I'm assuming this might have something to do with Vista.

Arcdelad

I read a small note in there that may help:

[blizzard]Nixphire is teh fail[/blizzard]

kajunlady

I have vista to nix and i also got that message

" The Hardest Job is watching day by day your children grow up and wondering if you really did do all you could for them"
unknown

" I did it because I can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said YOU said I couldn't"
UNKNOWN
"The futue is not something we enter,but something we create"
UNKNOWN

un4

public static void main(String[] args)

Ouch, 1.2 Gb patch.... estimated download time two hours.  I'll tell you what XP says about it then.
un4

Urmyboyblue

XP user here, i have not gotten any such message, but its not finished yet so...who knows. might be to so there server can pick up your files inside the wow folder to export your macros and such sence thats something they are doing in this patch is moving your macros to there servers so you dont have to keep redoing them. just a thought.

Kothnok

I would suggest moving your WoW folder to something else besides C:\Program Files\Whatever.

Windows decided to change the permissions in the default program install folder and it's done nothing but wreak havoc on any program developed before Vista.  I could go into much more detail on why, but the simple answer is to create C:\games\WoW (just an example) and move everything in your current WoW folder into that.

No matter how often you refill the gene pool, there's always a shallow end.

capnpop

with that vista problem re-run as administrator from what i've seen

[blizzard]Lomilexan,

Windows Vista has added protections on files in the program files folder that prevent unauthorized programs from making changes to those files without the consent of the user.

To bypass this people usually have to right click the program and choose run as administrator. This can cause a person to go through the entire patching process only to find that none of the data was saved.

Moving the folder to another location bypasses this restriction and allows the patching process to proceed without the end user running the program in that way. [/blizzard]

[blizzard]Our Beta and PTR installers were tested in the C:\Users\Public\ folder and it ended up causing less problems while still allowing them to install their addons and keep their settings. We like to keep all of our file in one place and not litter extraneous folders.

If you don't want to move it, you don't have to but note that you may have to do the mouse salute (right-click -> Run as Administrator) every now and then if the game needs access to the World of Warcraft folder [/blizzard]

(from http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=11162666913&pageNo=3&sid=1#48)

Also note: you will need roughly 6-6.5 gigs of free space to do this update (it copies all the files, updates those files, then deletes the copies).

capnpop

Also, don't move/delete files while updating...it doesn't like that...

i was taking out chunks of files during the update that weren't needed (old updates, and crash files) and after the update completed it gave me an "error" screen telling me that it couldn't delete those files...

Lughairmid

They did that cause of the new file system layout of Vista. Games installed on vista are supposed to go into the Public Games directory in the Users directory cause, well that is what they wanted to do and it mimics Linux in a retarded way. Honestly it doesn't matter where it is, it will still work. However, if you want to adhere to organization the operating system likes the most. Just say no if you have XP, and say yes if you have Vista. Mostly cause in XP there is no such thing as a Users directory. In fact the closest equivalent in XP to the c:\Users\Public\Games folder in Vista would be c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\[Games] where [games would be a brand new directory. Then you have to ask yourself... Why on earth would you want to put a game installation in your Doc and Settings area of an XP system? So in general just say "No" for XP users if you get this error. However, in most cases you wont get asked that but if you do don't let it change the directory. I hope this brings some light on to the subject.

fiere redfern

I had the installer move the files to [insert generic Public folder here], and didn't have any problems with the patch from then on. Even opened up WoW to go "ooh, ahh" at the new login screen  :D

kajunlady

im using what ever folder it randomly picked for me, Is that bad or should i have made a new name

" The Hardest Job is watching day by day your children grow up and wondering if you really did do all you could for them"
unknown

" I did it because I can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said YOU said I couldn't"
UNKNOWN
UNKNOWN

fiere redfern

That folder's as good as any, Kaj. Just make sure you can remember which folder it was =P

Hugh

kajunlady

hehe its makeing a shotcut on my desktop for it yaya fro vista sometimes

unknown

UNKNOWN
UNKNOWN

un4

This patch scared me.  I got the "You have 30 MB of free space remaining on drive C" warning because of it... I went into panic mode and deleted 5 GB worth of programs and files to make room for it... then it deleted all the temporary crap and gave me another four gigs back.
un4