Comcrap

Started by Tony, December 11, 2010, 04:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

So over the last few weeks, I have been dealing with Comcast outages in my area. I have done a little research, and found that they are having issues with their DNS servers. I read that some people have been pointing their DNS to Google instead of Comcast when this happens. Well, I think the same thing happened about an hour ago. Network connection in Windows 7 said I had a connection to the internet. My router also had a connection. However, I could not access anything. I remembered reading about pointing my DNS to Google, and thought I would give it a shot, and it worked. As soon as I changed it, the internet started working again.

I'm not really sure why Comcast is having issues, but if you experience the same thing, here is a solution to try.

Windows 7

Start > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Then click on "Change Adapter Settings"

In this window, you will see all of your network hardware. WiFi, your NIC, and any others that you may have. Right click on your "Local Area Connection" and select Properties.

Once you are in the properties for your NIC, highlight "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties. You will then see a window of how your computer gets its IP address from your ISP. In most cases, you would just leave it on "Obtain an IP Address Automatically". However, your DNS setting is the one to change. Select "Use the Following DNS server Address" and type 8.8.8.8 in the dialog box. That address is Google's DNS servers. Click on Ok, then Ok again, and you should be all set.

NOTE* This is the setup if you are connected directly to a cable modem. If you are connected thru a router, you will have to add the DNS server in your routers settings.

The setup is very similar in XP and Vista. Just go into your Network properties, and follow the directions. If anyone needs help setting up a router or computer, feel free to ask and I will do my best to help you out.

Shadowwolf

Yea, Comcast has been having major DNS server outages the last few weeks.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-20023949-93.html

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-20024692-93.html

And they are a lot like Blizz where they dont tell their customers anything nor give them any sort of compensation over the issue. =P
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess