Using add-ons vs. not using

Started by Shadowwolf, June 19, 2006, 10:18:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowwolf

Alrighty,

So I thought I would post my comments on this little topic as its come up a few times when I reccomended some add-on and got the "I dont use them because im afraid they will make WoW unstable" response.

Ill start by saying, when I first started playing, for the first 3 months I used no add-ons whatsoever due to that exact same thinking. When I started doing some of the Raids, I was told I needed some CT add-ons to be allowed to participate which I thought was extremely unfair. Making demands of someone that they HAVE to install something on a computer of thiers or they will be excluded seemed wrong. Then, having played with CT_Raidassist some, I started to get into some others, like Decursive and Titan Panel and quickly realized the benefits they bring.

At this point, ive pretty much run WoW with add-ons for 3 months without any problems caused from those addons. The problems ive experienced are WoW specific and many others have had the same. About the most drastic problem I encountered was using ItemSync and being disconnected when trying to link an item. I have now since found out the reason why that happens and its actually a WoW related issue due to some anti-hacking steps they have taken on all the servers.

Im not saying you should use add-ons, but I am saying from a stability standpoint, in 3 months time, with all the add-ons I run, including some seemingly seedy and backyard programmed ones, ive yet to crash WoW. You can take a look at the tons I run here: Show us your UI!

If you set your memory properly, only use what you need and make sure your PC can handle it, I doubt you'll run into any problems and many of the add-ons will enhance your play experience and might even eliviate some stress in performing tasks like healing, buffing, whatever it may be.

Basically I think it goes back to that old addage of "Dont knock it till you try it".

Im interested to know the thoughts of others on this also.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Kothnok

I used to be in the "I dont use them because im afraid they will make WoW unstable" responses.  So I never used a plugin/addon for many months.  I decided to dip my toe in the waters with something simple. 

QuestLevel addon is where I started.  Something to make life easier on something small.  When I found that using that addon didn't blow up WoW, I then branched into using Decursive as I had a few bad runs where people died because I couldn't keep up with removing a poison or a curse (as a druid) and found it to be a great enchancement for a debuffer/healer.  Once I got used to having a plugin, I started downloading and playing with ones that were recommended by people I trusted.  Now I'm pretty comfy with plugins and have even tinkered with tweaking them on my own.

It's mostly about comfort level I think.  A massive addon like the ItemSync database or Auctioneer is not something I'd recommend to anyone as a first addon.  Start with something small and useful to your character to start with until your comfortable with addons before working with something more complex.
No matter how often you refill the gene pool, there's always a shallow end.

Dragonswine

yea like ive said in the past i build computers and still dont know anything about software so can someone explain to me how to install addons and stuff likehat cuz i still dont get it.plz if you do ill be your slave. 8) :P

Shadowwolf

In the download section of the site theres a link of how to do it.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess