Arena Specs

Started by capnpop, May 02, 2007, 01:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capnpop

I'm currently heavy demon specced for arenas (6/44/11).  It gives me instant corruption, around 12000-13000 hps for someone to hack through, and a decent "finisher" in Shadowburn.

So far, it's been a reliable build (felguard whacks people for 250-800 or so) but I was looking into something with a little more damage output while maintaining my high survivability.

I was thinking:
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/warlock/talents.html?0000000000000000000002050030133250100511340505000512030010000000

I lose my instant corruption and life tap, as well as my felguard.  I gain some more in the destruction line (mainly ruin) and a searing pain that crits around 30-35% of the time.

270 to 320 + 390 (900 +dmg * dmg coeff).

So, basically 600-700 dmg for crits up to 1200-1400 30% of the time.

I would like input on this spec.  Does it look good, will it suck?  Is there anything I'm missing that anyone knows of? Help would be appriciated...

Vengeance

Looks good but why not take the destructive reach? that would be an awesome combo with a crazy spell crit on searing pain, and to give up something for it wont do much to you at all

capnpop

70% interrupt resist is > 36 yard range IMO

the arenas leave little room for escape (middle of the arena can reach all the sides i think). 

Basically, I think there is more value to resisting interrupts from a melee attacker than it is than to hit him/her from 6 more yards away.

Grendeel

Yeah range isnt that important in arenas (other bgs it is) cause u can los around the pillars and the bridge to make range not a factor.  I certainly love the high burst damage u will be able to do and absolutely love the ruin talent.  We are gonna have to test it out.    However i feel having the instant cast howl is far more important imo.  Usually a fear can be countered but 2 fears can nullify one mob.  I think in a combo with affliction speccd with instant howl and a healer your spec could be extremely effective.  With just you and a healer it could be very effective but, without nullifying the one mob, im not sure u could burn them both down quick enough.  It certainly is worth finding out though.

capnpop

agreed, right now in our 3v3 i'm focused on fear and DoTs with my pet doing what he can to interrupt casters and intercepting.  with the new spec i think it may help the 3v3 since i'm then using a VERY short cast time spell to do my nuking (shadow bolts are hard to get off sometimes) and it still hits hard. 

i think one other effective thing to do would be to spec for heavy DoTs then just LoS own them.  Circle the pillars and jump up and down and all around.  Anyone with a cast time is gonna be in serious trouble (mages especially) since we can cast 3 DoTs with virtually no exposure...how has that worked with affliction for you gren?

capnpop

Conclusion: I did craptastic with that spec.  After several losses with a couple different specs I went back to demon and gren and I downed 4 teams in a row and went from a negative record to a positive one in a hurry...